༻𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐭༺

─━════⊰⊱ ◈ ⊰⊱════━─

─━════⊰⊱ ⊰⊱════━─

It was well into the morning when the car stopped in front of his house. All the lights were turned off. Jungkook came down and reluctantly entered, afraid of what he'd find. He knew that Jieun had been sent home with his mother, who had accompanied her during the process. Haeji was sitting in the living room, carrying a hot tea in her hands. Darkness surrounded the place except for the diminished light from the lamp beside her.

"It's three in the morning," she said quietly.

"I didn't want to come home," Jungkook answered just as low. The taste of all the alcohol he had consumed locked up in his office seemed farther and farther away now. "I didn't want to see her. I still don't.

His mother sighed, giving light taps on the couch so he could sit. "Jieun is going through a very difficult time now, Jungkook. Try not to be so selfish... You can't imagine the pain she's feeling."

"She's still in pain?"

"I'm not talking about physical pain," Haeji said. "You have no idea what happens to a woman when she knows she's carrying a child... Jieun went through a very clean abortion, and she obviously had a lot of pain at first, but the healing process helped to calm her down," his mother took a deep breath, leaving her tea on the coffee table. "It could have gone wrong since Jieun was already in an advanced stage of pregnancy... the team reported that in a few weeks, she'd be perfectly ready to get pregnant again," her eyes lifted to meet his. "Take good care of this because if there is someone she's hating as much as Gi Jong right now, it's you."

Jungkook frowned, outraged. "It was not my idea to kill the child!"

Haeji felt annoyed by his tone. "As I told you before, she didn't make it by herself. It was your daughter as well as hers, and you were there, standing, looking expressionless while watching the woman carrying your child suffer an attack like that without moving a muscle, not saying a word."

"It was a test! Jieun knew it was a test! I couldn't do anything! She's rational enough to be aware of this."

"Jieun's unable to be rational, Jungkook!" said Haeji firmly. "They just killed her daughter! Right at that moment, she didn't care about her, our risks, or if you expressed yourself in any way. She was almost crying out for mercy because the child was also yours."

"Even if I had done something... I wouldn't have the power to change anything."

"She didn't care about that either."

"How can you know so much about these things?"

"I'm a mother too."

Jungkook couldn't argue with that argument. He closed his eyes, head falling back on the couch, feeling absolutely lost. Never in his entire life had he felt so out of place. He didn't know how to act, what to do. Not even what he wanted.