༻𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐞𝐫𝐚༺

─━════⊰⊱ ◈ ⊰⊱════━─

─━════⊰⊱ ⊰⊱════━─

As the night went by, the submissive prisoner offered smiles here and there, accepted two or three glasses of champagne, and remained quiet, uttering only the necessary words when questioned by the guests.

Jeon Haeji had been closer the entire time in case Jieun decided to take off her mask for a few seconds. She couldn't trust her alone. Everybody in that room had a different opinion for her presence in such an important event, mostly not so pleasant.

Jungkook refused to join in that circus. He chose to stay nearer the drinks while engaging himself in a conversation with two of his friends, which truly infuriated both Sehyuk and Haeji.

"There's a beautiful woman right across the ballroom, and you're here, trying to get wasted," commented Taehyung as he drank from his glass. "What an imbecile."

"Take her if you want," Jungkook answered under his breath. "You'd do me a big favor."

"Be careful what you wish for..." his friend smirked, earning a chuckle from him.

Kim Seokjin had been silent until now, staring at Jungkook's future wife with a deep curiosity. "So, she's the famous revolutionary everyone talked about it, huh... I heard many things about her. I can't believe someone so young have been in control all this time."

"What difference does that make?" Jungkook asked in disdain. "My age is also not the appropriate one to occupy the position I hold."

"Still," he murmured. "We always had the best resources, a well-organized army, trained men... they didn't. If Kawa has been holding this civil war for four years was thanks to foreigners and her strategies. Don't deny it."

Jungkook sipped on his champagne in response.

"Somebody like her is who we need working at Office Palace," Seokjin added.

Taehyung snorted on the other side. "That was the first place they tried to invade, Jin. It'd be a complete torture for her to work there."

"Things have changed," Jungkook finally said, his eyes still on her. "She's no longer the leader of Kawa, and the war we're fighting now is different. Lee Jieun is an Uchi prisoner. The future she wanted, along with her father's legacy that she tried so hard to maintain is over. If the Supreme Leader decides to take her to the Office Palace, she cannot refuse."

"It seems to me that you'd truly enjoy that," Taehyung teased. "Watching the rebel girl betray her own kind... would be quite a show."

"Can't say it wouldn't," he half-shrugged as both chuckled.

Before Jungkook could take another sip of his drink, Jeon Sehyuk emerged from nowhere, taking the glass away from him.

"Are you trying to get drunk and ruin the party?" the man hissed with a disgusted stare. "How many of these did you have?"