༻𝐝𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐞𝐬༺

─━════⊰⊱ ◈ ⊰⊱════━─

─━════⊰⊱ ⊰⊱════━─

It had turned dark when Jieun arrived home. It was also past dinner time, but she didn't care about the strictly rigid schedule as long as Jungkook was still absent.

She climbed the stairs, getting rid of her shoes in the process. It was refreshing to feel the tiled floor against her feet and her mind wondered how the many women she had met that day could walk and act as if it was the most comfortable thing in the world.

Jieun sighed, tired of it all, pushing the door open of the room while wishing for a good night's sleep. She stopped and turned halfway to the bathroom when she noticed that the light was actually on.

Her breath was held immediately.

Jieun was presented with the sight of Jungkook right in front of her, leaning against one of the dressers that surrounded the sides of the room. His legs were slightly crossed, tie untied around his neck down the line of the unbuttoned shirt. The glass of whiskey was dangling on one hand and his eyes, incredibly dark, fixed on her.

That was such an unusual sight of him that in addition to surprise her, slightly scared her. Jieun had never seen General Jeon outside his very presentable posture and so out of character.

"Why are you here?" she blurted out before she could process her words.

Jungkook laughed weakly. "Do I need a reason to be at my own house?" he asked and she had no answer. His hand took the glass up to take a sip. "I see you already made yourself comfortable," he nodded at the shoes she left halfway.

"You should be away from Seoul."

"Yes, I should," Jungkook agreed. "Unfortunately, there are people who keep reminding me that I have to fulfill my new status as a husband now," he looked down at his glass momentarily to watch the pair of rocks gradually melting. "However, I got home, and surprisingly, didn't find my beloved wife," he sipped some more. "Where were you?"

Jieun stared at him. "Office Palace."

He hummed, swallowing more of the liquid. "You have a position?"

"Not yet."

"But you already know what it is."

"Working with the mayor."

Jungkook raised his brows behind the glass, surprised. "Who told you that?"

"Your father, himself."

He nodded, walking over the armchair to throw himself there. Jieun followed him with her gaze.

"Anything else?" it was her turn to ask. Jungkook shook his head in silence. "I'm not being forced to, but maybe it's not as bad as other positions he'd offer in the future."