-Chapter 89-

I adjusted my shades and took a deep inhale of the sweet scent filling the air around me

I adjusted my shades and took a deep inhale of the sweet scent filling the air around me. No matter how shitty I felt, I could come here and forget about all of my problems...even if it was temporary. Syn knew that and took it upon himself to take us all even though there was a set nauseous expression on his beautiful face.

"Are you going to throw up again?" I looked up at him, snapping his attention away from James and Ethan who were running to every attraction within distance.

"Hmm?"

"You look sick."

"I am." He took a deep breath, stretching his arms over his head. "You are the universe's ultimate 'fuck you' to me. I can't have a normal girlfriend that likes to knit and make bracelets at home. Instead, I have a woman that likes to get on machines that bring her to the brink of death as she listens to the sounds of screams in the distance."

"You're so dramatic." I laughed. "At least I'm not making you get on anything, right? I've grown."

He gave me a slow half hearted nod before glancing back at the boys and I furrowed my brows. The sudden mood change made me question all the words I had just said, but I still couldn't find anything wrong.

"What is it?"

He looked down at me. "What?"

"You just did a complete one eighty. Is something wrong?...If I offended you I'm sorry...?"

"You've done nothing wrong."

"Then what is it?"

He sighed, glancing around the crowded amusement park and I kept my eyes glued to him. After our talk a few days ago, I wouldn't think he'd be guarded so soon. "I can't help but feel as though I'm holding you back."

I frowned, tilting my head in thought. What is he talking about? "From what? The rides?"

"Well, that's one thing," he admitted. "We've been here for almost three hours and you've gotten on nothing."

"Because I want to stay with you."

"Yes, I know that...but for fucks sakes you haven't even glanced at any of the sweets," he added before pointing at a cotton candy vendor nearby. "I know you want that. Would you like me to get it for you?" He began walking toward it and I pulled his arm to stop him.

Whatever was going on with him felt deeper than getting me cotton candy. "Syn, it's fine. I don't want it."

"Because of me?"

"Well, sort of..." I shrugged. "I don't want to eat it and have you throw up if you kiss me." I let out a small laugh and he remained unperturbed, making me purse my lips in frustration. "What's going on, Syn? Are you really concerned about holding me back from rides and cotton candy?"

He blew out a long breath before taking my hand and leading us to the merry go round where Ethan and James were screaming their heads off. He sat down on a bench in front of it before looking up at me and patting the space beside him. "Sit." I did as he said and crossed my legs, patiently waiting for him to continue. He placed his forearms on his legs, staring down at the floor before glancing at me. "Are you happy?"