-Chapter 72-

My phone buzzed on the nightstand beside me and I tired my eyes away from the television to pick it up

My phone buzzed on the nightstand beside me and I tired my eyes away from the television to pick it up. I frowned as I looked at my mother's contact again. She had been calling me every day, which was odd. Worrying that something may have been wrong, I broke my rule and picked up the call. "Hey, mom."

"Queen, I've been so worried," she said, relief flooding her voice. "Where are you? I went by the palace, but they told me you weren't there. Are you in danger? If-"

"Mom," I said calmly. "I'm fine. I promise."

The line remained quiet for a few seconds and I toyed with the silk material of my robe, not understanding why she was acting so strange. There was usually never space in our conversations for awkward silences like we were having now. My mother loved talking...and I loved talking to her.

"Is everything okay?" I asked.

"Umm, yes." She cleared her throat. "Where are you?"

"I'm staying at a hotel in Juva for a few days."

"Queen, I have the entire villa to myself. Don't waste money when there is more than enough space here. I'd like to see you more often anyway and I'm lonely here. Come stay with me."

That wasn't a bad idea...I didn't mind splurging on the room here, but I did miss her. I suppose it was time to find a more permanent place to stay considering chances were my stay at the palace was over.

"Okay," I answered. "I'll be there tomorrow."

"Alright sweetheart," she said, her tone not reaching its usual bubbly one. "I'll prepare your room. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Okay. Love you." The line was quiet. I would've thought she hung up if I couldn't hear her soft breathing through the line. "Mom?"

"Bye." The line went dead, making me furrow my brows as I set my phone down. What the hell was that about? She and I had a pact. With me being human and living in a world full of creatures that would prey on me, we could never be sure I'd make it home or see her again. We always told each other we loved one another. No matter how angry we were at one another.

She didn't say it.

"Weird," I muttered, shaking my head and ignoring the sting in my chest at it.

A knock at my door interrupted my stupid conclusions about whether or not she was upset and I tossed my phone down before heading to the door. When I opened it, I was greeted by the pizza delivery boy I had been seeing almost every day...multiple times a day sometimes.