-Chapter 82-

The bartender led me to stairs at the back of the club and I nervously followed him

The bartender led me to stairs at the back of the club and I nervously followed him. "Where are we going?"

"To the roof," he said with a smile as he glanced down at me. "There's a beautiful view I'd love to show you."

I blushed under his gaze and we walked up the stairs hand in hand. We stopped at a large door and before he could open it, I tugged his arm. "I hope you know that I'm not interested in anything more than talking," I said. "I just got out of a relationship and I'm still-"

"I understand you." He gave me a comforting smile. "Matters of the heart are always a mess, but I swear to you that it's just nice to take a breath and talk to a stranger sometimes...nothing else."

I smiled back at him as he pushed the door open and we walked through it. Before it completely closed, I stopped it and turned to him. "Shouldn't we keep this open?"

"No need," he said. He reached into his pocket and jingled keys in the air. "I can always unlock it."I didn't know how I felt about somebody else being able to control when I could leave, but I ignored it. He seemed nice enough anyway.

"Okay," I said as I let go of the door. There were a few benches on the roof and it had no lights, but it was illuminated by the bright lights and skyscrapers in the city.
I looked around in awe and walked to look over the edge. Laying my hands on the stone railing I looked down and felt dizzy for a second. "Wow, we're high."

The bartender wrapped his arm around my waist and gently moved me away from the edge. "Easy there."

I laughed softly at him and he led me to a bench nearby and sat down. I sat down next to him and we sat in comfortable silence for a few moments. "What's your name?"

He smiled and shook his head. "Elliott."

I smiled to myself and waited for him to ask mine, but when he didn't, I frowned. His hand moved to my thigh and I subtly crossed my legs to move away from him. He noticed my movement and smirked at me. "What's a beautiful girl like yourself doing at a club like this alone?"

"I'm not alone. My friends are in the club," I said with a nervous laugh. His eyes moved to my legs and I looked down uncomfortably, lowering the hem of my dress. I cleared my throat to draw his attention back up to my eyes and he momentarily looked up. "So, when is your break over?"

"Don't worry about that," he whispered as he grazed my cheek with his knuckle, making me flinch. "I have all the time in the world."

I plastered a smile on my face and looked away from him. He seemed like a nice guy, but I was uneasy, most likely because I kept thinking about Syn lurking in the shadows or something.

"So are we going to hook up?"

"Uh, no," I said slowly as I shook my head. "I told you less than a minute ago that I wasn't here for anything else but-"