1

Tiffany covered her head as another kid threw rocks at her

Tiffany covered her head as another kid threw rocks at her. Her hair was tied in two braids that fell over her shoulders, but this gave them something to grab. She never understood why they picked on her but they did.

"Hey!"

"Scatter."

Tiffany pressed her palms on the asphalt to push herself up. One of her braids were loose and unraveling while the other was still intact. She fell back on her butt as her two friends rushed to her.

"Tiffany!" Steve was the first to get to her because Bucky tried to follow after her bullies. "Are you okay?"

Tiffany wiped at her face, one of the rocks had cut her cheek but other than that it looked like she was just going to get some pretty bad bruises. "I'm okay." She took Steve's hand as he helped her off the ground. "Bucky!"

Bucky stopped his chase and whipped his head to look at her, "I can get to them!"

"It's okay." Tiffany rubs under her nose aggressively, hoping that the blood trickling from it would go unnoticed. "Don't worry about it."

"Don't worry about it." Steve huffs back with a headshake, "You got to fight back against your bullies, Tiff."

"It's fine. Really." Tiffany tried to move away from them to block out the bloody nose, but Bucky had stopped her.

He placed his hands on her chubby cheeks and forced her to look at him. His eyes shot down to the blood from her nose and his scowl deepened. "Your nose is bleeding. Nothing about this is fine. Have you told your parents about this?"

"They don't need to handle their useless fifth grade daughter." Tiffany moved her head so he wasn't holding her anymore, "Seriously, it's okay. I can handle myself."

"But you don't have to." Steve mumbles.

"He's right." Bucky stuffed his hands into his pockets, even though all he wanted to do was reach out and help his friend, "We're here for you. Okay. We do not plan on leaving anytime soon."

Tiffany wiped the blood off of her nose and just smiled, "You two really refuse to leave me, huh?"

"We're friends."

"Come on, Buck, we're family."

Tiffany received looks while waiting in line with her paperwork to join as a nurse for the war. She figured it was because of the pants or perhaps the lack of hair product in her hair. She never had the time to care about such things.

"Name."

"Tiffany Phillips." She continued to answer each question before turning in all of her paperwork. She wasn't given anything or told anything other than stating that she would receive something in the mail.