Chapter 22 : Their Past

Please listen to this song while reading, I promise you won't regret it ;)

_____________________

"Mr. Jun?", she voiced out almost in a whisper, "I did not just leave her because these people were following me. I left her because I had to. I was in danger and now...I am the danger. Would you risk your loved one's happiness for your own? I may have been selfish for leaving her too soon but I am not that selfish for coming back that soon either. Not until I found the killer of my parents...our parents!"

Mr. Jun had an unsure expression, he looked uneasy. He knew Dae since she was eightteen and seeing her all grown up, protecting and fighting for her family, gave him a reason to be worried about her own well being.

"I am going to tell Y/n soon. That I am her sister. I will. Just not now. I am too afraid, coward or not, I need to think about her before I can think about myself. If something happens to her, it will be my fault and I would never forgive myself again..."

*FLASHBACK*

"Unnie! Why did they take father away from us? Did he do something bad?"

The big sister patted the little girl's head to calm her down. Little did she know though, that she herself needed to calm down. What was going to happen now?

"No! Dad did not do anything wrong...he just...he just needs to go to work, yeah!"

Yet she was aware of her lie. Their father did something wrong, so wrong that they threatened him and told him that they would kill the entire family if he did not obey.

"Work? So will he come back soon?"

Dae, the older sister, was unsure of what to say to her little sister who was looking up at her with puppy eyes. They both were currently hiding in bushes, watching the scene of black clothed men forcing their father into the car. Their mom cried and begged for mercy.

"Why is mom crying though?", she asked.

"I don't know...maybe she is also afraid that he will never come back!"

And he didn't. Their father never came back. And right when they thought that life could not get worse,  a horrible trauma experience entered the life of the youngest child in the family. Their mother was killed right in front of her eyes, Y/n needed to watch her mother die while her sister was out to get some food for them to survive. But what could food even do, if two souls already died in the same place. Y/n only heard her mother telling her to hide before the door was kicked open and guns were immediately aimed at the woman who was only thinking of her child's safety. However, even in the closet, Y/n needed to hear the gunshot and see her mother falling onto the ground. Her bloody body laying livelessy in the bedroom, never escaped the mind of the young girl whose cries were muffled under her palm, which she held strongly onto her small lips.

From then on, Y/n did not dare to talk. Her mouth sealed with the most expensive gold. When her sister arrived home, the white plastic bag fell from her hand, her body standing there like paralyzed as she saw how her mother was laying there dead. After a while of glaring, her eyes widened and she started to yell through the house that was left in ashes.

"Y/N! Y/N! WHERE ARE YOU!?", hearing small sniffling noises from the closet, the older sister took her steps slowly to the closet and opened it to see a little girl epressionless sitting there, her knees close to her chest.

Kneeling down to her, she tried to touch her head with shaky hands, yet the little girl flinched back, almost hitting her head.

"Y/n...we need to get out of here. We are in danger!", there was no point in hiding that fact anymore, after all Y/n was the witness of her mother's death and Dae regretted every moment silently to have left the house and her family to go out and buy food.

Minutes of attempting to touch Y/n, the little girl's power drained only by having her eyes glued to her mother's liveless state. Holding her hand, Dae ran out of the house, not forgetting the groceries in case they will need it on their way to hide from the bad people who were after them.

Almost leaving the house, little Dae got reminded of a little detail though. Y/n's and her school uniform. Moving back to the closet, Dae stuffed her sister's uniform into the plastic bag and then found her own.

"Mae Jadae-ah" was written on the name tag. Under the real name, was a nickname that her dear friends gifted and called her by.

"Mae Jadae-ah
  Mae Jade"

Her sister did not own a nickname though. However, Jade a.k.a Dae always liked to call her jewel, since she was a glowing happiness in her older sister's life.
That's right. Their family name was Mae. This was the beginning where Jade's and Y/n's grandparents took a role in this misery. These were the grandparents of their father's side though, which meant that they were specifically more strict and distant. Their grandmother was always sweet but the grandfather could be very harsh when not adjusted to his temper.

This was when Jade took the big sister responsibility for her grandparents plan. The grandparents decided to change the names of their grandchildren legally in order to make them less risky of danger. Jade became Dae and Y/n's name stayed the same. Her name only had small letter changes, that were made to pronounce the name differently. Jade decided to live with her grandfather and Y/n was left with her grandmother. Since Jade's character was stronger than Y/n's, Jade thought it would be better to stay with the rough one in their family.

Also the fact that their grandparents were literally not in good terms and chose to live seperately, made it some much harder for those people who were after Jade and Y/n. Jade was transfered to an other school and so was Y/n. The girls could not even attend their mother's funeral, which was an other reason of a huge heartbreak.

It was hard difficult for Y/n to keep up with her classmates, the trauma still fesh engraved inside her memory card. Jade tried her best though to be a support by secretly and carefully sneaking out of her grandfather's house and going to her grandmother to encourage her little sister to slowly but steadily speak again.

All this time, two sisters had to hide their real identity and their relationship. Both of them never knew what their father did to change their lives so miserably yet the only thing they needed to be aware of was to run and hide from the unknown.
Everything had gone well after they moved to a different city and to a different environment, everything until...

the girls encountered the unknown.

_____________________

I am sorry, I took so long but school be stressing me out as always. I hope you liked this chapter and got to know Jade's and Y/n's connection a little better.

I hope you would leave a vote and a comment because they truly make me happy and motivate me to keep writing.

Thank you so much for reading, you're very much appreciated <3