Genesis and I glanced at one another and turned back to her. "What happened?"

She took a deep breath and covered her face. "Xavier kissed me."

My eyes widened at her admission and Genesis gasped and began squealing. "I knew he liked you!" Gen said excitedly.

Jess shook her head sadly and looked at her fingers. "I don't think I like him back. He's sweet, but I still love Nate." Nate was her asshole of an ex who left her while she was pregnant. It's been months since he reached out to her, but she has this image of a perfect family in her mind and for some reason it included him.

"Fuck Nate, oh my god!" Gen groaned as she threw her face into a pillow. I didn't think it was my place to say anything about her relationship with him considering I hadn't known her long, but I gave her a sympathetic smile.

"Gen, I've been with him for almost 35 years." She frowned.

"So? He's a horrible man," Gen muttered.

"And Lucifer's not?" Jess asked and Gen's mouth dropped.

"He's not horrible to me and he wouldn't leave me like Nate left you, Jessie. I love you, but you're making the wrong decisions. Xavier is a sweetheart and he's here with you. What man do you know would wake up at two a.m. to bring you pickles?"

I laughed at that and shook my head. She was right about Xavier. He was a great guy.

"That's the thing. I know Xavier will be here so why can't I explore my options?" She asked.

I frowned at her words and ignored the bitter feeling that gave me. I liked Jess, but that was a horrible way of thinking and if I had any say in it I wouldn't let Xavier wait for her while she decided who she wanted to be with. "That's not right," I spoke up as Jess and Gen turned to me. "Xavier doesn't deserve to be an option while he's completely here for you."

"She's right. I'm sorry Jess but I don't support that," Gen said.

Jess groaned and shook her head. "I don't know. But if I had to choose, I want Nate. End of discussion."

"Then why did the kiss happen?" Gen asked.

"I don't know, okay? It felt right at the time." Jess said in a distraught voice. I could tell that she was getting frustrated and I decided to drop the subject. She was pregnant and I didn't want to cause her any stress. Gen must've gotten the hint too because she nodded and remained quiet.

I decided then if Xavier were to ask me for advice on Jess I would advise him against her. She was a great girl but she was too confused about her feelings and I didn't want him to get hurt. The tension in the air was punctured when my phone vibrated, and I looked at my phone to see a message from Syn. I held back a scream from the giddy feeling inside of me and I opened it.

Syn: I'm back. Where are you?
12:17 a.m.

Jess saw the text from beside me and she giggled, slightly shoving me. "We've been talking about our men and the whole time you have one yourself?! ?" She wiggled her brows.

"Umm." I glanced at Genesis, who seemed to know a little more than she led on, and she gave me a small smile before looking down at her fingers. "It's complicated."

She opened her mouth to press me for more information, but Genesis cut her off. "Leave the girl alone," she mumbled.

I gave her an appreciative smile and stood up from the bed. "I should go, it's getting late. I'll see you both tomorrow?"
Jess gave me a quick hug, and I glanced toward Gen who stood up from her bed and walked toward me.