Verkwan 18

[TW: Character Death]

If your soulmate dies you'll get to see them in your dream and find out how they died by talking to them. It's a way for their soul to say goodbye before resting in peace.

Vernon doesn't really believe in soulmates, but he does like the idea of someone being assigned by destiny to love him no matter what, although, he only sees it as a work of fiction..

..but he does know someone who think the opposite.

"Morning.. you seem to be in high spirits today"

"As the usual! Also good morning to you too!"

In the apartment complex that Vernon used to live in, the guy living just beside his apartment would always come out every morning to either hang laundry clothes or just hang out infront. Vernon would always greet him on his way to work and he would always caught the guy humming the tune of Can't help falling in love by Elvis Presley.

"Are you working today as well?"

"Yeah.. as always"

"Oh.. but it's Saturday today?"

"Work is work"

Vernon and his neighbor don't really talk much but when they do, they both seem comfortable around each other. Their talks just mostly composed of Vernon's work, the neighbor's mood and soulmates.

The two differ in a lot of ways including the way they see the idea of soulmates. As said earlier, Vernon doesn't believe in soulmates but his neighbor thinks different. His neighbor would always go into a long rant on why soulmates are the most beautiful thing in the world and how it's definitely real, even though Vernon disagrees, he still sits back and listen.

Yes, he doesn't know the name of his neighbor.

"Hey.. uh, I heard you're moving out tomorrow..?"

"Yeah, my parents planned to go back to US with my sister so they're giving the house to me"

"Oh, well, I'll miss you"

"Me too, I wouldn't be able to hear your hums again"

"I'll actually sing it for you if you want?"

"I'd love to hear it"

It's been months since Vernon moved out of the apartment complex and months since Vernon last seen that neighbor of his, he would constantly think of him though. His sweet and gentle voice still lingers in his mind, he didn't know why his voice stayed but he couldn't even remember his face.

One night, he dreamt of something unexpected.. He was back at his old apartment. He was confused, of course, but still went and did his old daily routine. He checked the alarm clock beside his bed while brushing his teeth. It was exactly 7:30 am in the morning. After he finished dressing up for work, it was time for him to head out.

As he walked to the door, he could hear the faint humming of the familiar tune. Vernon figured it was his neighbor, he quickly opened the door to see his neighbor humming the tune with the same fond smile as always.

"Good Morning, Vernon.. heading out to work today?"

Usually, it was Vernon who would greet the other first so that surprised him. He slowly walked over to his neighbor in disbelief

"Why.. Why are you here?"

"Duh? I live here, of course.."

"No, this is a dream.. why are you in my dream?"

"Well.."

His neighbor sat down on the floor, leaning against the wall. He patted the empty space beside him, implying that he wants Vernon to sit down beside him. Vernon walked over and sat down beside him.

"I told you.. about soulmates right?"

Vernon suddenly realized the situation, he looked at his neighbor in shock.

"No.. No, you can't be.."

"You know, I've always loved you ever since you moved in. I didn't get the chance to tell you but it's too late now, huh?"

"How did you.. pass away?"

"Life is a pain in the ass, all it gave me was burdens and challenges.. You were the only one worth living for"

"It's my fault, isn't it? Was I the one who drove you to do it?"

"Vernon.. It's not your fault. It never was. It's mine.. I wanted to suck it up but I couldn't"

"If you were feeling that way why didn't you tell me?"

Vernon unintentionally went a little harsh, he was gripping on both the other's shoulders hard. He could see the pain in his face but his neighbor only smiled at him.

"First.. let me ask you, do you know my name?"

That question itself was enough to silence Vernon, he never once asked for his name but the other knew his clearly.

"It's Seungkwan silly, I told you that before.. that's.. the reason why I didn't"

"Because.. I don't know your name?"

"That's part of it.. but it's actually because I thought you'd think of me different. I thought that if I show you this side of me.. you wouldn't accept me. It was clearly a wrong decision"

The two went silent for awhile, Vernon looked up at the sky while Seungkwan just fidgeted with his fingers. Vernon then closed his eyes and sighed.

"Do me a favor"

"What is it?"

"Sing it to me.."

"Okay.. If this is your way of goodbye.."

Seungkwan started singing the song that he used to hum everyday for the last time. Even though it was only a dream, Vernon was atleast glad he could hear it before letting him go. When the song finally ended, Vernon opened his eyes to thank the other but he was already back to his room in his parent's house.

He was disappointed that he couldn't say goodbye to Seungkwan properly but he was satisfied with remembering his face and his voice.

[Hello! I'm just posting this quick oneshot to say that I would be going on hiatus for awhile, I don't know how long exactly but maybe if my life ain't that busy anymore, I'll probably post more oneshots. Also again, thank you all for the support, I do appreciate the reads, votes and comments you guys leave. I didn't expect to get this many reads but here we are. So that's all thank you!]