Chapter 74 ~ Tears of true remorse

Start from the beginning

"We don't have a choice," I say

"We have to make your father cry," Gaius says

"He doesn't care about me anymore," Arthur says

"Nonsense, that's Catrina's influence. I've known your father for many years. There's never been anyone or anything he's treasured more than you. It's perfectly safe. A single drop of the antidote will reverse the effects immediately." Gaius says.

Merlin and I were busy attempting to put Arthur's armour away.

"Antidote, what antidote?" Arthur looks at us "You didn't say anything about an antidote."

"We didn't think it was important," Merlin says.

We drop the armour next to the wall and behind a chest.

I walk back over to Arthur and Gaius.

"The potion will lower your heart rate and breathing. For all intents and purposes, you will be dead." Gaius states.

"And the antidote reverses the effects?" Arthur asks

"Yes" Gaius replies

Arthur seemed to relax.

"If it's administered in time," Gaius says.

"If it isn't?" Arthur asks "You will be dead."

"You just said it wasn't important," Arthur says

"Yeah, um,  I suppose it is a bit important," Merlin says

Arthur rolls his eyes.

"Merlin and Olivia will have the antidote. Once I've administered the poison... uh the potion. They'll have half an hour to get it to you." Gaius explains

Merlin and I smile. 

Arthur walks to Merlin "Don't be late."

"Am I ever?" Merlin asks

Arthur reaches for the potion.

Gaius holds it back "Are you sure you want to go through with this?"

"It's the only way to save Camelot," Arthur replies.

 He grabs the potion holds it up then drinks it. He looks disgusted at first then shrugs.

We look at each other. Then Arthur falls, Merlin and I catch him.

We lower him onto his back; I gently put his head on the floor. I close his eyes.

I look down at him "Okay, this looks way too real. I don't like this plan." 

"It's all we got," Merlin says

"Time to break the bad news to Uther," Gaius says

Merlin and I leave the room. We peeked around the corner to make sure no one was around. Merlin had the antidote in hand. We walked down the passage, and suddenly a vase crashed down onto Merlin's head. Another one missed me by a centimetre. I look up and see Jonas.

Merlin falls, and the antidote rolls out of his hand. It bounces down the steps.

"No, no, no," I rush forward.

I was to late the glass shattered on the last step.

"Merlin!" I call there was no answer.

I run over to him and shake him. I look at the bandana around his neck and pull it off. 

I quickly go back to the antidote and start dabbing it with Merlin's scarf. 

"Ah," I look back at Merlin "What happened?"

"Jonas threw a glass vase onto your head," I say 

Merlin jumps up "Arthur."

We run to his room. 

"Guards!" Uther shouts "Seize it."

Merlin and I take the chance while everyone was turned away to get to Arthur. While everyone was fighting, I try to ring out the scarf and get a drop into Arthur.

"Come on" As I say that a drop falls into his mouth.

He swallows it and moves his head. He begins sitting up, and I help him up.

I look at the guards, and Catrina was defeating them easily.

Catrina hits all the guards down. Catrina turns back to Uther. Arthur jumps up and runs to Catrina; he hits her trying to knock her over. But he bends over in pain. 

Catrina grabs him "Is that any way to treat your dear old step-mother?" 

She grabs him and throws him to the wall. Arthur groans in pain.

I run over to him; I cup my hands to his face. "Arthur."

He groans. I sigh happily know he's okay. Suddenly Jonas comes up behind us; he draws a knife. Jonas stabs down at Arthur, he jumps and rolls me out of the way. 

"You okay?" He asks

I nod. Jonas came at us again, Arthur draws his sword and stabs Jonas. He falls to the ground. Arthur stands up and looks at Jonas. He turns and looks at Catrina; she falls to the ground. Arthur swings his sword and stabs Catrina.

Catrina grunts. And farts uncontrollably which were disturbing. She lets out one last loud fart and dies.

I cover my mouth and nose with my hand. Arthur walks over to me and offers me a hand. I grab it, and he helps me up. I smile at him; he looks at Uther and lets go of my hand and walks away.

Merlin and I were walking down a passage.

"Merlin, Olivia!" Arthur calls.

Merlin and I stop and look at Arthur.

"I want you to know that I never doubted you," Arthur says.

I raise my eyebrows.

"Alright, maybe I did, but it's your fault. You have a suspicious look, shifty. Like you've got something to hide." Arthur states

"We are open books," Merlin says

"Don't believe that for a second," Arthur says "However I do know that without your help, I'd still have a troll for a stepmother."  

We stand there, awkwardly.

"Well, thanks," Arthur says

'Yeah," Merlin says.

Arthur puts a hand on Merlin's shoulder. 

Arthur steps back. "Whoa!"

"Whoa," Merlin says.

"I thought you were going for a hug," Merlin says.

"No," Arthur says.

Merlin shakes his head. They slowly lower their hands.

I nod at Merlin, and he smiles and walks away.

"Gwen told me what you did today with the taxes," I say "The people were extremely grateful.  Everyone appreciates what you did. They know you tried and they won't forget that."

"He thinks I can't be friends to the people and their king," Arthur says.

"That's not true, and you'll prove it when you become King. You have a kind heart, Arthur. Never change. Not for anyone" I lean forward and kiss him on the cheek then walk away.