Chapter 72. Thank You

Misha handed Stephan a glass of grape juice, and the teenager thanked him before swallowing a big mouthful. Immediately after, he spat out the "juice" on the kitchen floor, his pale face turning bright red. The dark purple liquid splattered up his pants, but he didn't even notice it, too busy coughing his lungs out.

Gabriel and Masha looked at Stephan with sympathy. Thankfully, they had taken their own precautions, and their clothes weren't dirtied, unlike the teenager.

After entering the kitchen, they maintained a safe distance from Stephan under the pretext of having little space for moving Masha's wheelchair about. Although they didn't know what Misha had planned, it was better to be safe than sorry. As long as they didn't stay close to the boy's target, they shouldn't suffer too much from collateral damage.

Standing near the table, Misha was leisurely drinking his glass of juice, innocently glancing at Stephan; the teenager was sticking out his tongue in disgust and pain, sucking in deep breaths. His grimacing face was quite priceless, and Misha couldn't help but regret not having taken a picture of it. It'd have made a great souvenir.

Seeing the child take a sip, Gabriel and Masha glanced at each other before tentatively tasting their own glasses of juice. Realizing that the beverage didn't have any weird flavor added to it, they heaved a sigh of relief and started to drink it without any more misgivings.

Stephan was almost angered into laughing. He glared at Gabriel and Masha with tears glittering at the corner of his eyes, but both averted their eyes and pretended not to see him. Friends, his ass!

"What happened to my juice?" Stephan asked Misha with a bit of resentment in his voice. "It tastes, well, it tastes awful! Very, very awful!"

"I may have mistaken the salt for the sugar."

"And for that super spicy flavor?!"

"My hand may also have slipped," Misha smiled sweetly, not showing any guilt whatsoever.

In his opinion, he had been quite lenient with his prank. He only added a pinch of crushed jalapenos to Stephan's glass of juice, even though he had had the urge to add a lot more. So, shouldn't the teenager thank him for his mercy? What was he doing, complaining nonstop?

A few months ago, Misha prepared many things to make Gabriel's daily life a living hell, including those crushed dried jalapenos. Unfortunately, he hadn't had the chance to use them before today.

He smashed the peppers himself back then, so each flake was very thin, almost like powder. Their size and texture were thus perfect for hiding them in food and drinks. Still, being cautious never hurt, so Misha had chosen a dark-colored juice and mixed everything in a plastic glass. This way, Stephan wouldn't see at a glance the residues left after mixing in the crushed dried jalapenos. But some tiny flakes floated on the surface of the juice, something he couldn't do anything about. Thankfully, Stephan hadn't bothered taking a closer look and just gulped up everything.

It resulted in him burning his tongue and spitting the juice all over the floor. It also meant Misha would have to clean up the kitchen again. Still, it was well worth it.

"Can I have a glass of milk? I'm dying here!" Stephan pleaded, streams of tears rolling down his flushed cheeks.

"Sorry, we don't have any milk left. Gabriel drank the last bit this morning."

Gabriel choked on his saliva upon hearing the child's words, feeling somewhat wronged. They had bought three liters two days ago, so there was more than enough milk left in the fridge. Sparing some wouldn't kill them! But even if he was thinking such things, Gabriel didn't dare to voice his thoughts for fear of incurring Misha's wrath. The boy was in charge of cooking, and if he were to offend him, who knew what kind of living hell his dinners would become. The worm-flavored muffins were a good indicator.