Chapter 119. An Overdue Conversation

Jake stood beside Masha in the living room, silently watching Gabriel and Misha climb upstairs with narrowed eyes. He didn't say anything, but being ignored seemed to have ticked him off. Gabriel knew that kind of attitude grated on his nerves, making him grit his teeth and clench his fists. Thankfully, he was too prideful to complain about it.

Just now, Misha had insisted on playing in his room with Gabriel, saying that he had new toys he wanted to show him—and only him. The brat tugged on Gabriel's sleeve and stared at him with big, round eyes, acting as though Jake and Masha weren't there. It was as if they didn't exist in the boy's eyes.

Of course, Jake wasn't interested in wasting his time playing with a ten-year-old kid, but his antics were irksome. The boy didn't even try to hide his hostility, openly showing that he hated his guts. The enmity was obviously shared; Jake hadn't forgotten how that little punk had hit him in the nuts at the hospital, rendering him unable to walk properly for days.

Just thinking about it made his blood boil. However, Jake knew better than letting his emotions run wild. He couldn't do anything for the time being, or his mother's plan would go down the drain, and he sure as hell didn't want to pay the price for angering Angela. Jake couldn't antagonize Gabriel just yet, meaning that he couldn't "take revenge" on the brat.

'But well, it's a good thing they left in the end,' Jake sneered, peering at Masha. 'I've got my own agenda for today, anyway.'

"Say, it doesn't bother you that your boyfriend prioritizes your little brother over you?" Jake asked with a smile that wasn't quite a smile, his dark emerald eyes filled with hidden meanings.

"No, not really," Masha shook her head, a small smile on her lips. "I mean, I prioritize my brother over my boyfriend, so how could I be bothered when he does the same? And to be honest, it makes me happy that the two people I love most get along so well. The sight of these two talking and laughing makes my heart go soft, you know?"

"Still, you haven't seen Gabriel in so long, and yet he leaves you alone to play with your brother. I'm sure you were excited to meet him today, alas...."

Jake stopped mid-sentence to let out a long sigh, shaking his head with disapproval written all over his face. It almost made Masha roll her eyes. She forced out a cough to stifle a snort, hiding her contempt behind an awkward smile.

Could that guy be any more obvious? Anyone with a brain could tell he was trying to sow discord between her and Gabriel, all the while pretending to care for her feelings. What a pitiful trick, ah.

"Well, I think my brother was even more excited than I was. That brat has taken quite a liking to Gabriel," Masha chuckled, deciding to play dumb. "Gabriel is surprisingly good at handling kids too. Anyway, they'll come back down soon enough, so let's wait for them. We can watch TV in the meantime."

"...Alright."

Although Masha didn't want to have anything to do with Jake, she knew she had to keep him busy while Gabriel and Misha discussed. Her brother hadn't actually asked Gabriel to come upstairs to play. No, he wanted to talk and clear up Gabriel's past once and for all.

Masha just hoped that the truth wouldn't distress her brother too much. But deep down, she knew she would have to be there for him tonight; Misha tended to be too empathic for his own good, even more so when it concerned the ones he held dear.

***

Once in his bedroom, Misha locked the door behind him before unceremoniously pushing Gabriel toward his bed, ordering him to sit and stay still. The child then stood before him, narrowing his eyes.