Chapter 144. Hormones

The car still hadn't come to a complete halt when Misha opened the door and jumped in the passenger seat. It startled Gabriel into gripping the steering wheel tighter, his heart skipping a beat as he stomped harder on the brake pedal. Goodness, that reckless kid...!

"Hurry up, hurry up!" Misha said as he fastened his belt, oblivious to Gabriel's tight hold on the wheel and his white knuckles. "Step on the gas! Step on the gas!"

"..."

Was the devil itself on the teenager's trail? It sure felt like it. But when Gabriel looked out of the window, all he saw was Vanessa pushing through the crowd of high schoolers, making her way toward the car. She grinned when she noticed his gaze and waved at him.

"Come on, step on the gas!" Misha urged, nervously bouncing in his seat. "She's getting closer!"

The teenager's panicked face made people wonder what kind of beast he had just escaped from. Did Misha perhaps forget Vanessa was his friend, not some bloodthirsty monster?

"Stop daydreaming and take off!" Misha urgently patted Gabriel's thigh before adding with shifty eyes, "I-I'll cook your favorite dish tonight, so please?"

Gabriel cocked an eyebrow but finally backed the car out of the parking lot, not saying anything. As he passed before Vanessa, he caught a glimpse of her dejected face and offered an apologetic smile.

Once they were a safe distance away, Gabriel heard Misha heave a sigh of relief. From the corner of his eyes, he saw him slouch in his seat, seemingly trying to melt into the backrest. Whatever happened today left Misha with no choice but to flee in defeat, his tail between his legs. Although Gabriel was curious, he decided not to ask and twist the knife. Instead, he made small talk.

"How was your day?" he asked.

"Exhausting," Misha grunted. "I swear, teenagers have too much energy to spare!"

At these words, Gabriel thought of reminding him that he was currently a teenager himself but decided not to in the end. His survival instinct worked just fine, and he didn't want Misha's ire to turn toward him. It was better to let him ramble to his heart's content and listen from one ear.

"Every damn day, I have to deal with horny boys, lovestruck girls, useless gossip, and—Oh, fuck! Just thinking about it is driving me nuts!" Misha paused to pull his hair out. "Who fucking cares if that girl has bigger boobs than another? And what's wrong with spending time with your friends? Boyfriends aren't meant to be dragged around like lapdogs! And I don't give a damn about that upper classmate's crush on the temporary teacher! Goddammit, how am I supposed to stay sane in this kind of environment?!"

Misha winced, burying his head in his hands. Before entering high school, he had forgotten how immature teenagers could be. A small problem could turn into a full-blown war between friends, and foes could be easily gathered with one wrong word. To top it all, add a Vanessa set on drawing him into all sorts of trouble.... Now, he was realizing just how much his friend had calmed down as an adult, for she was truly impossible as a teenager.

"I'm sure you'll manage," Gabriel laughed, interrupting his inner laments. "Anyway, they'll grow up one day and mature in due time. Just be patient until then."

"But I've never had any patience!" Misha sobbed. "I wanna skip class tomorrow. And the day after tomorrow too, and—"

"No can do."

Misha answered with a desperate, drawn-out grunt. Then, he peered at Gabriel through his fingers and a few strands of hair. Who knows what kind of thought crossed his mind, but his cheeks flared into a bright red.