Chapter 74. You're Such an Idiot

Even after the sobs subsided, Gabriel didn't let go of Masha. Instead, he gently stroked her back while she rested her head on his shoulder, patiently waiting for her to feel calm enough to move aside by herself. They both didn't say anything, and soon, only the sound of their breathing could be heard inside the bathroom.

But Masha eventually sighed, "If only you were born female."

To which Gabriel replied in a flat tone, "If only you were born male."

There was a silence before the two chuckled, lifting or lowering their head to look into each other's eyes. A subtle air of complicity lingered between them, making the corner of their lips curl up slightly. They both had long known that their genders were the only reason they weren't together, and they often teased each other about this.

Some people claimed that love could get over everything, even gender. But the reality had always been harsh and ugly, not caring about romanticism and such. Sexuality was an important part of a romantic relationship. It wasn't the case for everyone, of course, but for Gabriel and Masha, it certainly was. Thus, being in a couple with someone who did not sexually arouse them would only make their nights long and frustrating. Masha and Gabriel were well aware of this.

On the one hand, Gabriel couldn't get it up with a woman no matter how enticing her curves were, and on the other hand, Masha didn't get excited at the sight of a naked male body. In all honesty, she much preferred a plump, soft breast over a flat chest, and Gabriel's preference was the exact opposite. With this in mind, they both knew that a romantic relationship between them wouldn't work, or at the very least, it wouldn't last long.

Instead of rushing to their downfall headfirst, they had decided to treat each other as a family member. Many types of love existed in this world, and blood wasn't the only thing that defined family. Besides, it wasn't because they weren't a couple that they couldn't be close like one, sharing their joys and sorrows and caring for each other's well-being.

Even if they were pretending to be a couple to hide their sexual orientation from their respective families, they weren't together and would never be. But their relationship wasn't to be taken lightly, either. In a way, it was stronger than one could ever imagine.

Time continued to tick by, and Gabriel asked, "Are you feeling better?"

"Yeah, I'm all better now."

"Then, close your eyes and let me wash your hair. If we don't get out soon, I'm afraid Misha will lose patience and kick down the door. We've been in the bathroom for quite a while now."

A hearty laugh escaped Masha's mouth, echoing in the bathroom. It was something her brother would indeed do.

"Lately, I've been wondering to whom exactly my brother's jealousy is directed. Is it to you for monopolizing me? Or is it to me for monopolizing you? It's hard to say."

"Don't say strange things."

"It's not strange, and you know it. Misha, he..." Masha paused to bite her lips, then added with a sigh, "He seemed to know that something would happen to our mom. And since her death and my, well, my new physical condition, he's been acting like a small adult, taking everything upon himself. I'm not stupid, you know?"

"I know."

"Well, it seems like my brother doesn't know."

"..."

"Seriously, why doesn't Misha tell us anything, even when we confront him...? Since the day he had a nightmare about our mom and I disappearing, he has been acting weird! We all know that he's hiding something, yet he thinks we haven't noticed a thing. Should I laugh? Or should I cry?" Masha let out a self-mocking laugh. "I don't know anymore."