Chapter 154. Bitten By An Ugly Bug

Gabriel stared at his elder brother's neck, and Jake pretended not to notice, eating his toasts in silence. He was wearing a shirt with a low neckline, putting on display the bluish-purple hickey near his Adam's apple. It was so dark on his pale skin that it seemed to jump at people's faces; you would have to be blind not to see it.

"That hickey is quite visible," Gabriel eventually said, tapping his own neck. "It makes people wonder what you did last night."

"Don't say strange things. You know nothing actually happened."

"Hm, I can't help but doubt it. A certain someone seemed elated when they left this morning."

"Stop it with the misleading words. I just asked for a hickey, nothing more."

"Uh-huh."

A sigh escaped Jake's mouth. He put down his half-eaten toast on his plate, then stared at his brother. A second passed before he asked in a deadpan tone, "What do you want to say?"

"Nothing much," Gabriel shrugged. "It's just that a hickey is not the same as a hug; it's a gesture that carries a much more intimate meaning. I'm surprised you allowed Stephan to do it, that's all."

Silence fell between the siblings, so deafening that even flies could be heard flying about. It stretched until Jake snorted, "That's all? Don't make me laugh. Stop beating around the bush and say what's on your mind."

"Are you sure you don't have a thing for Stephan?"

Jake's mouth twitched, the incoming headache already throbbing at his temples. 'Looks like I won't be able to escape this one, huh.' The thought crossed his mind as he narrowed his eye at his brother, who was patiently waiting for an answer. He didn't rush him, but the faint smile on his lips spoke volumes.

"Alright. If he manages to keep it in his pants for a year or two," Jake smiled coldly, "maybe I'll give him a chance."

"That's a little cruel, even for you."

"You can talk."

"...."

"Not saying anything now?"

"Misha is still physically too young. It's not the same."

"Honestly, I'd say Misha is a little pitiful. I can't imagine having to handle my teen hormones while being around the person I love all the time. It must be hard on him, even more so since you're not making it any easier for him." Jake paused to raise an eyebrow, letting the underlying meaning sink in. "Anyway, you've been keeping your hands to yourself for years and plan on doing so until a certain someone reaches adulthood. If Stephan can't do it for a year, I'm not starting a relationship with him."

"Don't take me as a reference! You do know Stephan has a strong sex drive, right?"

"How can I not? He ended up in jail in the first timeline thanks to this."

"...."

The siblings stared at each other, unsaid words lingering between them. They were still in a deadlock when they heard rushed footsteps tumbling down the stairs. A second later, a child popped into the kitchen, bouncing around like a bunny. The boy was wearing blue pajamas with little yellow chicks, his bed hair an impressive sight. When his gaze landed on the two men sitting at the table, a smile bloomed on his face, brightening his chocolate eyes.

"You're here!" Tristan giggled, bolting to Gabriel like a torpedo to hug him. After his brother hugged him back, the boy let go, swiftly turned around, and skipped to Jake. He then wrapped his arms around his waist like an octopus, pressing his cheek against his side. "I thought you'd be done with breakfast already!"