Chapter 95. Quarrel

Summer ended and school started again. Because Masha and Gabriel both graduated from high school, they had to choose between continuing their studies or entering the job market, which resulted in many debates and discussions that left Misha a little speechless. It was probably the first time he had ever seen Gabriel and Masha argue. These two rarely fought, but when they did, it wasn't a lovely sight. The longer they quarreled, the uglier it became. It was to the point where Misha and Yuki often had to mediate between the two, trying to calm down a furious Masha and silence a serene-looking Gabriel.

Because her physical condition limited what she could do, Masha ultimately decided to pursue her studies to acquire new skills that would allow her to stand out in the job market. She wanted a job that didn't require physical exertion, but she also wanted to find something she would genuinely love and enjoy doing. However, she was well aware that to be picky about her profession, she first had to be a qualified worker with good prospects, meaning that she had to educate herself first and foremost.

Of course, if she wished to, Masha could live with the money provided by the assurance as a salary compensation, but because she didn't have an actual job when she had her accident, the money she received wasn't much, only the bare minimum. Besides, she knew staying at home doing nothing would drive her crazy one day or another. She had always been the kind who had to busy herself to feel well and alive, so she chose to pursue her studies, determined to find a suitable job that could accommodate her disability.

Before her accident, Masha had planned to work in construction, but it was hard to do so now. Architecture studies did attract her; however, she knew she didn't have the capabilities to work in that field, too afraid of making a mistake that could cause the building to collapse and kill people. So instead, Masha decided to attend a college that offered video game development courses and diplomas. If she couldn't build actual buildings, then she might as well do so in video games. Wouldn't it be fun to create towns out of nothing? Well, it probably wouldn't be an easy task, but she decided to brush off that detail for now.

Although the college was a little far and she would have to travel almost three hours and a half per day on public transport, everyone supported her decision, happy that she had found something she wanted to do. The problem was that Gabriel chose to follow her and attend the same college. It had made Masha furious; this decision was directly linked to her, not to say made for her sake. How could she not know what that damned best friend of hers was thinking?

First, it was so Gabriel could give her a ride and reduce the number of hours she would have to stay still inside a vehicle. Using a car, it would be a one-hour trip from the house to the college, saving around one hour and a half of public transport per day. Despite the many hours she would need to ride every week to attend school, Masha was very adamant about staying at home, close to her brother and father, instead of renting something closer to the college. Worst case scenario, she could always study on the suburban train and the bus.

Second, if she encountered any difficulty at school, Gabriel could help her as he had no difficulty learning, no matter the subject. But it wasn't because he could learn pretty much anything with ease that it meant he enjoyed it. In his defense, Gabriel did seem a little interested in video games, but Masha knew it wasn't enough to make it his future job. It wasn't something he liked from the bottom of his heart.

"For God's sake, do something you actually want to do for once in your life!" she screamed, hitting the kitchen table with so much strength that it seemed to crack under her fist. "Gosh, we're talking about your future! The job you will do for years! Decades even!"

Standing near the table, Misha had observed his sister fly into a rage with wide-open eyes, while Gabriel stayed as calm as ever, not the slightest irritated by all the yelling. When he opened his mouth, his voice was composed, even carrying a subtle touch of tenderness and helplessness.