Chapter 12. La Ronde

For whatever reason, the amusement park wasn't as crowded as usual and felt somewhat empty. On the bright side, there was almost no waiting line, and Misha calculated that they could ride every roller coaster at least once—instead of only five to seven for the whole day. Additionally, despite the cloudless sky and the bright sun, the temperature was cooler than the previous day, and a refreshing breeze steadily blew throughout the place.

In short, it was the perfect day for going to La Ronde.

There was one problem, though: Misha was too short and couldn't ride most of the roller coasters. Making him wait every time the group rode one was too unreasonable, and they also couldn't let him wander alone in the park. That was too irresponsible. After talking for a while, Gulnas proposed to split up. She would go with her son to the amusement park area specially made for kids or the smaller roller coasters that didn't require being too tall, whereas the teenagers could go wherever they wanted to.

But the words had barely left her mouth when Gabriel raised his hand and proposed something else. "To be frank, I'm not very good with heights. So, I can stay with Misha, and you can go with the girls."

Everyone blinked once, slightly taken aback. It was even more so for Misha, who had never heard of such a fear despite knowing Gabriel for years.

In his past life, they were separated for the whole day. That being said, Misha never actually saw him riding a roller coaster. Afterward, they never had the chance to go back to the amusement park. His sister worked too much and rarely took leave from work, even on holidays, and Misha didn't want to go out to have fun without her.

Now that Misha thought about it, even when they did go out, they never did any activities that implied heights; hiking, cinema, haunted house—it was always the kind of activity in which their feet were firmly grounded.

Really? Gabriel was afraid of heights?! The thought made Misha feel strangely uncomfortable, and he couldn't help but stare at the tall teenager in disbelief. In his mind, Gabriel feared nothing and could overcome everything. The guy was a big, bad wolf in sheep's clothing and thus wasn't allowed to feel fear! He wasn't allowed to have human emotions! Or else, how was Misha supposed to see him as a monster...?

'Don't go around acting like a human! You aren't!'

Misha refused to accept it. Yeah, Gabriel afraid of heights? It couldn't be possible. That guy was spouting nonsense and scheming about who knew what!

"Why didn't you say so before we came here?" Masha asked. If Gabriel didn't like amusement parks, she'd have chosen something else.

"Because it's your birthday," Gabriel winked. "And you were looking forward to visiting La Ronde so much."

Camille chimed in, "Oh, you were that excited?"

"Oh, shut up!" Masha whined, hiding her face in her hands in embarrassment. Wasn't it normal to be excited when it was your birthday and you were out celebrating it with your loved ones? No? Was it only her?

Misha saw his sister's bright red ears from the corner of his eyes and felt conflicted. It seemed like Gabriel had already snatched an important place in her heart, for she reacted too strongly to his every word and action.

'I already don't know how to get rid of the man as it is, so please don't make things more difficult for me! I'm begging you, Sis'!' Misha inwardly winced, just about to pull his hair out.

"Thank you, Gabriel," Gulnas interrupted the teenagers' prattle and Misha's silent lamentations, "but I think I will feel more reassured if I stay with my son."

"Yes, I understand," Gabriel politely replied with a pleasant smile. They met for the first time yesterday, and he couldn't expect a mother to trust him wholeheartedly with her treasured son so soon. "But I also have a cell phone. So, we can contact each other at any time if something happens."