Chapter 137. Regrets

The door opened with a squeak and Gabriel entered the bedroom with Misha. His arm was wrapped around the teenager's waist to support him, most of Misha's weight resting on his forearm. It had turned his arm numb, but Gabriel pretended not to notice and dragged Misha further inside. Then, he thought of something and glanced over his shoulder.

Behind him stood Masha and Yuki. Before he could ask if they wanted to go in, the two shook their heads and bid them goodbye. It was already getting late, and Gabriel and Misha needed a bit of private time to sort out their feelings. Thus, they decided to return home, telling them they would come back the next day.

Gabriel stared at the closed door for a second, then brought the teenager to the bed. Misha was swaying on his feet, and it was better for him to lie before his legs gave in.

"How do you feel?" Gabriel asked after tucking in the teenager, his voice soft and low.

"Honestly? Like shit," Misha answered with a self-mocking laugh, pulling the blanket over his shoulders. "My body hurts like a bitch, and my heart... Well, it stings so much that I feel like digging it out and tossing it away. Does it answer your stupid question?"

"Yes, it does. Very well, too."

"Glad to hear that."

The teenager pursed his lips, anger making his voice tremble. Not lashing out at Gabriel was hard, and he had to breathe in and out a few times to calm down. He had many reasons to be mad, and quite frankly, he didn't know which one took the cake.

Although Misha had noticed something was off about Jake, he'd never have guessed that he had memories of his past lives. It wasn't something he'd think of, not even in his wildest dream. And, of course, Jake just had to be like his brother and hide his emotions behind a mask, trying to solve everything on his own. Even if the whole world were to hate his guts and wish him dead, he wouldn't say shit. Gabriel had discovered this, yet he planned to carry the secret to his grave instead of telling Misha, just so others wouldn't get hurt.

Yeah, that probably was what was pissing off Misha the most. If he hadn't woken up and eavesdropped on them... Better not think about it, or he'd grow even madder.

"Gaby," Misha finally exhaled, rolling over on his side to look into Gabriel's emerald eyes, "I want you to answer me honestly, and if you dare lie to me again, I swear I'll beat you half to death."

"I—"

"Shut up! Let me talk. What exactly are you trying to hide from me? I don't think it's only the timelines that weren't reset to zero. There's something more, and it concerns Jake."

The words took Gabriel aback. Misha pinpointed the one thing he didn't want him to figure out, so easily at that. Who said he was dense? He was uselessly perceptive when it came to him.

Gabriel sat on the bed with a sigh, lowering his head to look at the teenager's puffy eyes. It seemed like he wouldn't be able to avoid the conversation, whether he liked it or not. At any rate, Misha would find out sooner or later now that he knew about Jake's past lives, so he might as well be the one to tell him.

"I wonder when you got so good at reading me. It's almost scary."

"Oh, come on, don't act all surprised now. You know I didn't have much choice but to learn how to. Otherwise, I wouldn't know when you're lying to me."

"Touché," Gabriel admitted with a light chuckle before running his hand in Misha's hair, gently and slowly. "Are you sure you want to know? Sometimes, ignorance is bliss."

"Who cares?! I have enough of not knowing! Will you stop delaying and tell me already? It's getting annoying."

"Alright. So, where should I start? Hm, yeah, let's begin with this. It may surprise you, but Jake had a family in both past lives. He had a lovely wife, children, grandchildren, and even great-grandchildren. From what I read, he was quite fond of them. Actually, it'd be more accurate to say that he was completely gaga over his family."