Chapter 75. Misunderstanding

Gabriel sat upright on the sofa in the living room, maintaining a soldier-like posture. Despite the gentle smile on his lips, there was a solemn air surrounding him; it gave off the strange feeling that he was about to face a terrible ordeal, the kind that usually left people half-dead or wishing for death.

Before him stood Misha, whose arms were crossed in front of his chest. Since Gabriel had come out of the bathroom several minutes ago, the boy had been staring at him with squinted eyes and furrowed brow, his lips tightly pursed into a thin line. No matter from which angle one looked at his face, it exuded a feeling of deep anger and hostility.

"So? What the hell did you do to my sister?"

"...Nothing?"

"Liar!" the boy snorted before stomping on Gabriel's right foot as punishment for lying, drawing out a small groan of pain. "What do you take me for? An idiot?! Anyone who's not blind can tell she cried! A lot! Look! Her eyes are puffy, swollen, and red! Don't tell me nothing happened, I won't believe you!"

Misha paused to catch his breath, letting his words sink in. Then, he spat out, "And you two stayed in the bathroom for almost two hours! That's too suspicious!"

"..."

"What? You've got nothing to say in your defense?"

"Well, I'm just not used to helping people take a bath, and I scrubbed her back too roughly and put shampoo in her eyes by accident. I'm sorry."

Gabriel spoke earnestly, appearing remorseful from the bottom of his heart. Misha, who hadn't expected such an answer, was left speechless. Meanwhile, Masha had to pinch her lips to keep herself from bursting out laughing.

"Trash is more useful than you," Misha eventually sneered before turning on his heel and disappearing into the kitchen.

"..."

After the child fleed, the living room fell into a profound silence.

The two left behind had very different expressions plastered on their faces. Gabriel seemed constipated, while Masha appeared to be on the verge of exploding. But honestly, her bladder was about to explode; she had been restraining her laughter for a long time already, and now, she couldn't hang on anymore.

"Help me go to the toilet, please?" Masha asked in a gentle voice, innocently blinking her long eyelashes at the young man. In a well-practiced manner, she acted as though she hadn't been the one who was having fun at his expense just now.

"Sure." Gabriel let out a sigh before standing up and pushing Masha's wheelchair to the bathroom.

'Next time she asks me to help her bathe, I'm saying no!' he thought, opening the door. Not only did he have to suffer from Misha's unreasonable suspicion, but Masha also didn't help out, taking great pleasure in his misery. Goodness, that pair of siblings sure knew how to make a fool out of him.

And yet, his chest couldn't feel any warmer.

***

Inside the kitchen, Misha busied himself, preparing tonight's dinner.

Time ticked by, but his small face was still shrouded in displeasure, his lips stretched into a pout. Again, the sharp knife landed on the cut board with too much strength, and chunks of vegetables flew everywhere in the room. However, Misha didn't seem to notice it, his mind lost elsewhere.

Of course, Misha didn't believe Gabriel one bit.

That earnest face of his had irked him to death, making him want to slap the young man on both cheeks. Just remembering it was enough to make him fly into a rage. He knew perfectly well that whenever Gabriel appeared overly honest, nine times out of ten, it'd mean that he was lying through his teeth.