Chapter 134. Exhausted

'They'll come to fetch you soon my ass,' Misha thought as he held his stomach, painful pangs of hunger stabbing it. He hadn't eaten anything for two days, maybe even more, and it felt like his stomach had started to digest itself.

Misha took in a deep breath, the humid and cold air doing nothing to alleviate the burning pain in his throat. He licked his dry lips and could not help but glance at the one and only bottle of water they had. God, he was so thirsty....

He realized what he was doing only after stretching his hands, the tips of his fingers brushing against the plastic cap. When the realization crashed in, the teenager jolted back in a fit of horror. He could not help but clench his fists so tightly that his knuckles turned white, bringing them close to his chest before crossing his fingers.

'What the hell was I about to do...?' As the thought crossed his mind, Misha bit his index finger until blood oozed and averted his eyes. It felt as if looking at the bottle any longer would burn his irises, if not awake his inner demons. Whichever was the case, he refused to look at it a second time, lest he did something he'd regret.

Even if Misha was craving water like never before, he absolutely couldn't drink what little was left. Jake was still running a high fever, and he had been sweating buckets since yesterday. He needed to stay hydrated, or else Misha feared he would drop dead.

Well, he probably wouldn't. But Misha would rather take no chances.

"You should just drink it if you're thirsty," Jake's voice weakly resounded. "I don't remember seeing you drink anything since we've been thrown in here."

"That's 'cause you sleep most of the time. I drank a bit earlier, so I'm fine."

"The amount of water doesn't seem to have changed...."

"That's 'cause your mind is foggy right now! Don't try to recall things when your head is a mess!"

"Has anyone ever told you that you're a bad liar?" Jake retorted with a low chuckle, making Misha's cheeks flare up a bright red.

"Just keep your mouth shut and rest, ok?!" Misha winced, already missing the time where he could win his verbal jousts with Jake. Now, it seemed like a distant dream.

"Alright," Jake coughed slightly as he nestled against his little brother, who was sound asleep beside him. "But don't push yourself too much, ok? Gabriel is going to kill me if something happens to you."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. I won't do anything stupid," Misha rolled his eyes. "You can rest assured that there's no masked man I can anger to death right now, so...."

Jake suspiciously eyed the teenager but didn't comment. Instead, he closed his eye and went back to sleep. His thoughts were in too much disarray to converse for too long anyway. All he could do was hope the teenager would follow through on his words and stay low.

Propping his chin on his crossed hands, Misha watched the two brothers sleep with a thoughtful gaze. In all honesty, he didn't know what to think of Jake's sudden changes in behavior. It was too abrupt, too different. Yet, he didn't dislike it—this new Jake was much more to his liking, and his heart had somewhat started to warm up to him.

'Never thought there would come a day where I wouldn't want to strangle him on sight,' Misha laughed to himself before standing up. 'Alright, enough idling about.'

Although he knew the door was sturdy and most likely wouldn't break, Misha still went ahead and tried to pry it open. It'd probably have been easier to remove the planks nailed to the window frame, but the window was too small to even allow a human child to pass through it. So there was no point in wasting his time on it.