Chapter 25. The Great-Granddaughter

The nurse entered the room with Misha's father on her tail; the man had been following her around like a shadow. Her mouth twitched a little, but she did her best not to let her annoyance show.

"Misha, how do you feel?" she asked mildly.

"Fine," the boy cleared his throat. "I feel fine."

In the time that it took for the nurse to arrive, Misha had more or less managed to regulate his breathing. It was still a bit unnatural, but it wasn't as rapid and shallow as a few minutes ago.

Nevertheless, after examining the boy and hearing what happened, the nurse informed a doctor without delay, asking them to come as soon as possible. Misha was a particular case that no one could make head or tail of, and any change in his condition was to be reported right away.

After a round of questions and tests, the doctor concluded that it was a false alarm. But they did find it a bit odd and noted it in Misha's medical file. They then told the boy to notify them immediately if he suffered from similar symptoms again. The doctor's voice was overly serious, and Misha could only respond with a nod, not even daring to say a word.

Satisfied, the medical staff left under the father's penetrating stare, who had observed their every move from beginning to end. He stood near his son like a watchdog, making the doctor and nurse unconsciously nervous.

Although Misha said nothing, he knew perfectly well what caused him to hyperventilate. Still, he wouldn't tell a soul. In his eyes, a panic attack was nothing to be proud of—it also made him feel deeply ashamed of himself. The fewer people knew about it, the better he would feel.

Besides, Misha didn't want anyone to delve into the matter too much. His father was not yet human trash, and his body was not covered in scars and bruises. He had no proof of his father's physical abuse, and thus he couldn't accuse him. Aside from breaking apart his family, what else talking about it would it do?

As long as his father didn't pick up his bad habit from their past life, Misha would shut up and allow him to stay with his family. He was all too aware of how much his mother loved Alexey, and how broken she would become without him by her side.

His father was not the perfect husband, but he cared for his wife and always put her first. When the couple was together, Alexey was like a puppy in front of its master; he seemed to grow a tail and shake it happily, waiting to be pet. Or, in other words, his aloof father turned into a stupid man whenever his mother was in the vicinity. This silly scene was a bittersweet memory that Misha had never been able to forget.

In the end, Misha couldn't bear to destroy his mother's happiness. All he wanted was for her and his sister to be happy, nothing else. And deep down, he knew his father was necessary to achieve this. That man was someone they both loved dearly, whether Misha liked it or not.

'What a pain,' he thought.

But although Misha decided not to toss his father aside if he didn't go astray, it didn't mean he'd make things easy for him. Even if Alexey was an exemplary father in this timeline, Misha couldn't forget what he had done in their previous life. The scars ran too deep.

If it weren't for his mother and his sister, Misha would gladly have destroyed his father's life without batting an eyelash—or so he loved to think.

Anyway, Misha could put his grievances aside, but it wasn't out of the goodness of his heart. He still planned to slowly distance himself from his father and stay on his guard. Alexey was like a sword of Damocles; he could bring hell upon his family at any time. But he could also very well bring heaven—only time could tell what path he would choose. In the meantime, all Misha could do was try his best to prevent a disaster from happening and, if he failed, make sure his mother and his sister could face it.