Chapter 131. A Little Gift

Bonus chapter sponsored by Ko-Fi! Thank you so much somebody and Yaoi Queen!♥

_________________________________

Thick clouds covered the sky and heavy rain was pouring down, hitting the windshield at a regular pace. The sound echoed like a mournful melody, exacerbated by the silence.

Just like the weather outside, the atmosphere in the car was bleak. No one was talking, and the radio was turned off. Even Stephan was silent, his eyes focused on the road. He sat in the driver seat, his hands tightly gripping the wheel, while Gabriel sat next to him in the passenger seat, gazing out of the window.

Not long ago, Mrs. Brown called to tell Gabriel that Misha still wasn't home. Her boy should have returned before noon, and it was already late afternoon. Though she and her husband should have been out on a date for the weekend, they were gone for only one day and one night in the end, and the family made plans to eat together tonight.

"We missed our children too much" was the excuse.

Gulnas was thus currently at home and waiting for her son, preparing dinner. Misha had never been good with punctuality, often vanishing into thin air regardless of the time and the place. Hence, him running late wasn't anything surprising; it was even something Mrs. Brown had expected. However, he usually answered the phone whenever she called, laughing and making excuses for not being on time again.

But today, he wasn't picking up the phone no matter how many times she called. An unsettling feeling was starting to agitate her heart, and, eventually, Gulnas could not continue to ignore it. She had to know where her son was.

"Do you know where Misha is by any chance?" she asked in an exasperated tone after greeting Gabriel. "I know he's not a kid anymore, but I can't help worrying. You know how he is."

"Well, he has always been the kind to jump in trouble with both feet. So it's normal to worry," Gabriel laughed, his voice soothing. "But sorry, I don't know where he currently is. The last time I talked with him, he was at the shopping mall with my brothers. I'll try to contact him, then update you on his whereabouts. At any rate, he shouldn't have gone too far."

"Thank you, you're a sweetheart!"

"No need to thank me."

After ending the call with Mrs. Brown, Gabriel immediately called Misha and sent him a few text messages. But every time, there was no answer. So, he might as well try to contact Jake. Misha had promised to meet up with him earlier, and they should still be together.

The ringtone rang for a while before someone picked up the call. However, it wasn't Jake.

"Hello?"

The voice was unfamiliar, cold yet playful. Upon hearing it, an ominous feeling welled up in Gabriel's chest. His smile vanished, and his eyes became fierce, startling Stephan who had been in the middle of putting a steaming cup of coffee on the table—he almost knocked it over, scared witless by Gabriel's expression. Masha and Yuki had left a few minutes ago to prepare for work, and only Stephan and Gabriel were left in the café at the time.

"Who are you?"

"Your brother's friend, you could say," the voice laughed, and Gabriel's ominous feeling grew sharper. "I sent a little gift to your home. It should arrive in an hour or so."

"What kind of gift?"

"Telling you would ruin the surprise." The chuckles were low and taunting. "Be a good boy and give my regards to your father, will you?"

"I'll need a name for that."

"Even without a name, he'll know who you're talking about."

Then, the man hung up, and the dial tone resounded in Gabriel's ear.