Chapter 23

A few weeks passed and Wonwoo started to realize something strange with Mingyu. They didn't talk much. Mingyu rarely texted Wonwoo. Every time Wonwoo sent a message, Mingyu just replied to it half-heartedly. Did I do something wrong? Wonwoo asked himself.

That afternoon, Wonwoo had lunch with Jun and Minghao. Supposedly Mingyu joined them but out of a sudden, the latter said he got things to do. Wonwoo felt a bit disappointed when he heard that.

"Why do I feel like Mingyu tries to avoid me? Did I do something wrong?" Wonwoo asked Minghao.

Minghao sipped the apple juice as he looked at his senior. His eyes trailed to Jun and the boy just shrugged. He remembered what Mingyu told him last week. The feeling Mingyu had for Wonwoo was going stronger and he was scared. Scared that he got hurt again. Minghao knew he shouldn't get involved in their problem. But maybe he could give a hint. Because these two were so dumb and stubborn.

"It's something that you two need to work it out." Minghao said.

"What do you mean by that?" Wonwoo confused.

"Let me tell you a bit about Mingyu's past."

"High school was a painful year for him. Something that he didn't want to remember anymore. One day, things got messed up and he was forced to come out as gay to everyone." Wonwoo widened his eyes.

"Luckily, his family accepted him. But not everyone else in school. Almost all his friends left him. The teachers even suggested that he go meet a counselor. It broke Mingyu." Minghao looked outside the window.

"I wish I was there when it happened. So that I could help him go through it. After that happened, Mingyu closed his heart." Minghao took another sip of his drinks.

"So hyung, you might hate it when I say this. But...everyone goes through a hard time in their life. Everyone has their own pain that they need to face." Minghao looked a bit annoyed.

"Face it and move forward. Life must go on." The boy finished his speech, making Wonwoo look down.

That directly hit his heart but it's true. It was just a breakup. Everyone went through it too. It's certainly painful. But there were a lot more things to think of.

---

Wanna crash at my place tonight?

Sorry. I'm busy. Maybe next time.

Wonwoo put down his phone and sighed. Mingyu really did avoid him. But why? Why did he do this? Didn't Mingyu know that Wonwoo missed him? Wonwoo stopped for a second. What made him miss Mingyu?

Wonwoo got off his bed and grabbed his wallet. He needed to clear his mind for a bit. Maybe he should have a walk and find some café.

He let his legs mindlessly take him to wherever it wanted. His mind went back to the time Minghao told him about Mingyu. The boy went through so much, but he still could smile and live his life until now. Wonwoo should be like Mingyu. Forgot the pain and moved on. He looked up into the sky. It's getting dark. It's about to rain. Maybe he should find a café quickly.

Reaching a corner, Wonwoo remembered there was supposed to be a café there. But to his shock, there's someone he didn't expect to meet, standing in front of the café. Seungcheol. Immediately, Wonwoo hid behind the wall. His heart started to beat fast. He felt nervous all of a sudden. He peeked a bit, looking at the latter.

Seungcheol looked the same. Like nothing happened to him. Wonwoo contemplated whether he should leave or go talk to the boy. He convinced himself that he was already over him. He's tired of hiding. Wonwoo wanted to confront Seungcheol. He wanted to show him that he was fine. With a nod, Wonwoo came out of his hiding spot. But he froze when he saw what was happening.