Chapter Fourteen - Reunions

Start from the beginning

 "I do have faith in you! You just don't think, you never have!"

"I'm beginning to think I should have stayed on Asgard," I muttered. Steve's anger flared once more. 

"Asgard," He spat. "I take it you were with him?"

"'Him' could mean a lot of people, Steve."

"You know who I mean, Ava."

"Do I?" I asked, cocking my head to the side in a patronising manner. He glowered and looked me up and down, his eyes resting, as Clint's had, on my left hand. His blue eyes widened and his face dropped. He blinked a few times, as if the silver band on my finger was a figment of his imagination. I bit my lip and hid my hand behind my back, but it was pointless, he'd already saw my ring. 

"Is that...what I think it is?" He asked quietly. I said nothing. Neither did Clint. "It is, isn't it? You're marrying him. You're freaking marrying him! Can't you see what he's doing to you?!" Steve stepped towards me and grabbed both of my shoulders and shook me. "You can't marry him, Ava! You need to just...snap out of it! You haven't seen him for a year...y-you were doing fine without him. You don't need him, Ava! You have us, you have me, Clint, Tony, Bruce, Natasha, Pepper...What do you need Loki for?"

"I-I-I love him, Steve." I squeaked under my breath. Steve shook me once more. I could see Clint tense up as Steve increased his grip on my shoulders. 

"Ava, please! You can't love him, you just can't!" Steve pleaded, his eyes welling up with tears and his fingers were now digging into my shoulders. "Ava...he killed thousands of people. He destroyed people's lives. He almost killed you! How can you love him!? Please, Ava! Don't do it. You can't! You can't marry this...this monster!" Steve said, his grip tightening even more and making my arms throb. I was too stunned to argue back with him. 

"Steve, stop it, please..." I said quietly. He ignored me completely. 

"I always thought better of you, I always thought you'd settle down with somebody nice, somebody who hasn't tried to murder you before now! Somebody who wouldn't leave you for a year, and then take you without warning! I never thought you'd be so naive! Do you not understand what this man has done? He killed so many people...He killed the only person you could call family, Ava - He murdered Phil Coulson. Right. In. Front. Of. You!" As he shouted this, inches from my face, I couldn't hold it in anymore. I burst into tears and Clint dragged me away from Steve and flung his arms around me in a protective state. 

"GET OUT OF MY SIGHT STEVE! You can't just let her be happy can you? Get out of this God damn room and leave her alone!" Clint roared. I'd never heard him shout so loud. But I didn't have the right state of mind to question him, I just sobbed into his black and violet uniform. He held me tight, and hushed my sobs. There was a sound of a slamming door, and the sound of Steve's feet slowly faded out of my hearing range. When I was certain he was gone, I squirmed from Clint's hold on me and slumped to the floor, my back against the wall of the room, with my head in my hands. I'd forgotten I still had Clint's arrow in my hand, and I'd accidentally burnt through it whilst I was hysterically upset; I hadn't even noticed my hands start glowing. I handed it back to him with tears streaming down my face. 

"Sorry, I didn't mean to break your arrow," I said, sniffing and wiping my eyes. Clint sat down corss legged in front of me, and simply flung the burnt arrow to the other side of the room. He shook his head. 

"Forget about the arrow. That doesn't matter. Are you okay?" He asked, holding my wrists in his hands. I paused for a moment before speaking. 

"J-just because he's done bad things...d-doesn't mean he's a bad person..." I whimpered. Clint simply sat and rubbed my hand soothingly.