ꕥ Chapter Thirty-Six

"are you sure about this?" Mark asked helping Jeno arrange their things as Hyejin and Hyuntae were downstairs with his mate.

The younger sighed, "yes, it might be really stupid but– I can't just leave the kids behind," he said folding one of Hyuntae's t-shirt on his lap.

"But what about Hyunjoon?" The elder asked opening the drawer to place some of their clothes in it.

Jeno pursed his lips, "him and Hyuntae can switch every week or so, I talked to them about it and it seems like Hyejin wouldn't budge away from me."

His answer made Mark pause before sitting down on the bed beside the cat hybrid, "all of them wouldn't budge away from you. Hyuntae just knows a bit more and therefore is willing to switch with Hyunjoon."

The blond nodded his head stiffly still fumbling with the same sweater he grabbed after Hyuntae's.

It was Jaemin's sweater, the one he usually borrows that's a bit oversized for him. He had accidentally brought it along when he was rummaging through the closet hastily before his mate could stop him.

He didn't even realize tears welled up his eyes by just seeing and touching the comfortable smooth material of his boyfriend's clothes as he thought of said person.

"Hey," Mark softly calls placing his hand on Jeno's shoulder resulting the latter to flinch a little. "Whatever happens, give it time. Don't rush yourself or Jaemin, both of you will be back in each other's arms soon."

"I just– it's all my fault." Jeno bursted in to tears feeling overwhelmed and guilty. Maybe if he wasn't a dumb fucking hybrid, none of this would've happened.

"No it's not, it's the guy's fault for doing that." The elder reassures engulfing the younger in to his arms patting his back gently.

The blond shook his head with his ears flat against it, "kitty i-is so stupid, a-alpha was right when h-he said k-ki-kitty was useless and d-dumb." He sobs.

Mark huffs at that, "well what Jaemin said was dumb. If anything, he's the dumb one because he didn't trust you, and now look, you're hurt as well as your kids."

"But ki-kitty cheated."

"Jeno didn't cheat, cheating is when you actually decided to go behind your love one willingly and loving it. But you didn't right? Did you like kissing me?" Mark hums.

The cat hybrid shook his head against his chest with a hiccup, his silent answer made the elder nod his head in confirmation.

"See? If you liked it and kept doing it, obviously that's cheating. But you didn't and never will, you weren't in your right state of mind that time too so that's a bonus." He continued.

When Jeno went silent besides the hiccups, puffy breathing and sniffles, Mark pulls away to cup the boy's face and smiles.

The sight hurts him though, Jeno was like his younger brother since they first met at the daycare. He usually sees the boy being bubbly and smiley, giggling with anyone even if that person isn't that nice.

So seeing the boy with his ears flat on his head, tail curling around himself as if it's some kind of protection, pheromones showing off a sign of sadness and guilt. It makes him feel that older brotherly care towards the younger.

"Jaemin will realize soon, he will learn and grow. He loves you okay? He won't let your relationship with him break and so as your family. Just give it time." He said.

He reaches to scratch the boy's ear and smiles when he gets a purr in return. "But for now, you should relax and rest, maybe find this as a– small vacation. Self reflection I guess," he shrugged.

Jeno smiles with his lips curling on the corners, he looks tired yet tries to not show it. His tail now untangled itself from his torso before it's back to swaying gracefully behind him.

"Thanks hyung," he mumbled after a moment of silence of just him purring by Mark scratching his ears and chin to help him relax. "For everything, thank you." He added.

"Of course Jen, I wouldn't want you to suffer and your relationship with Jaemin to falter. You're always welcome to us and your emotions are valid," Mark stated.

After a few more minutes, they both go back to arranging Jeno, Hyuntae and Hyejin's clothes and things they've brought in the guest room Mark and his mate gladly offered.

Once they finished, a knock on the door was heard as Jeno answers for the person behind it giving them permission to come in.

Renjun opens the door with a small smile before entering, "how are you holding up?" He asked walking towards his best friend.

The blond only answered with a shrugged and a small tight smile. Too tired to mumble out something, probably from all the crying he had spent a few moments ago.

Luckily the fox hybrid understood and didn't push him with anything, he always knew Jeno was easily tired ever since they first met in Jaemin's house.

He once found out about it when the younger was in the garden helping Haechan on raking up some leaves before he went inside curling up on the sofa falling asleep.

He asked about it and almost face palmed when Chenle rolled his eyes answering him with, "he's a cat hybrid dumbass. Let the kitty sleep."

Since then, he never bothered on ushering Jeno to do some work or interrupted his slumber observing the way the boy would look sluggish and almost pass out.

It's their nature anyway, the only time he has ever seen Jeno so energetic was whenever the blond would sniff catnip. But besides that, maybe when him and Jaemin got together.

"How are the kids downstairs?" Mark asked for the cat hybrid and helps the boy stand up with his legs wobbly as they head to the door.

"We should go save them actually," Renjun rolled his eyes, "your stupid boyfriend is doing a shitty job at taking proper care of them," he replied.

The elder scoffed, "the man's stupid sometimes, give him some slack." He defended on behalf of his mate.

"He gave them two bowls of gummies each."

"Fuck."

"Mommy!"