To You (Hijikata Toshiro)

Start from the beginning

"Ahahahha! Hahahah! My subordinate placed me in there! It was a harmless prank
....I think. I thought she was gonna return after an hour or two, but it took 3 days! Ahahahah! Hahahah!" Sakamoto laughs as he scratched the back of his head, stealing glances at her from the side of his eyes.

"So? What was a pretty lady like you cryin' 'bout? It's been a while since I saw you and the first I see you is cryin' like that." Sakamoto's voice sounded calm, different from his cheery tone earlier as he gently smiked at her.

(Y/N) and Sakamoto were friends from way before. They met when Sakamoto came by and did a trading business with her family. Since then, she and Sakamoto remained in touch until he went back up in space again.

(Y/N) looked at him astounded. Slowly, (Y/N) lifted her hand to her chest and looked down. She hadn't told anyone about her marriage, so probably even Sakamoto didn't know about it.

"It....was nothing." She forced a smile, "The trash smelled so bad it brought tears to my eyes! Haha!" She stood up, "Well, I have to get going now."

"Wait—!!" Sakamoto stood up and held her hand back, making her look at him. At this, (Y/N) realized how tall he actually was. Despite his empty brain, Sakamoto was quite the man himself. When Sakamoto grabbed her hand, he saw something glimmer against the moon's low gleam.

A ring.

"O-Oh....." Sakamoto's eyes widened a bit as he faltered and let go of her. "S-So, you're married huh? Ahahahah! Hahahah! Well, thanks for your help, but....I, uh— I had no idea." Sakamoto scratched his cheek.

"Yeah, I....got married!— just a few months after you left for space again." (Y/N) lifts her hand, showing the ring to him. Sakamoto smiled sadly, "It seems so, what a shame."

"Sorry, I have to get back now. It was nice meeting you again, Tatsuma! Let's see each other again soon!!"

Just like that she was gone, and Sakamoto— was sad and dejected. He finally found her again— but he was too late.

"Ahahahah! Hahahah! This isn't like me!!" Sakamoto laughed loudly, placing his hands on his waist.

"It's Zura's type to chase after married women not me! Ahahahah! Hahahaa..."

(Y/N) looked at her hand and smiled, "His hand was warm...." Her expression was soft and genuine. "—and what's with his ridiculously loud voice? Pfft, Tatsuma.....he definitely hasn't changed."

Ever since then, (Y/N) and Sakamoto often ran into each other. Either by complete coincidence or orchestrated coincidences.

So, not too long— (Y/N) realized that all her days with her supposed husband, Hijikata...were bleak and colorless. But, Sakamoto— colored her days, and made her feel like the happiest woman on Earth when he was with her.

But, she was married— she had the obligation to remain faithful to her husband. So, she tried to stay loyal and faithful as much as she could.

"I'm married!! Married!!" (Y/N) reminds herself as she squished her cheeks with her hands.

----------

While (Y/N) was cleaning at the house like usual she spotted Hijikata's papers lying on a nearby table. He always took his work hone with him, but rarely forgets to bring it with him.

(Y/N) giggled lowly as she gently took the papers in her hand. She then remembered a faint memory fron before that led to what they currently had now.