[189] - Lost

warnings: mentions the word kidnapping, virgil is anxious, slight overthinking, briefest mention of nausea

--

'Don't wander off' Virgil had told his son just ten minutes ago, 'stay close to me' and 'go hold dada's hand', because going to a mall to do some shopping was stressful enough normally, and even more so with a young child to keep track on.

And now when Virgil looked at his husband, what did he see? Only his husband, no five year old in sight.

"Logan. Where's Patton?" He asked, looking around himself, trying to see past the other people strolling around, carrying big bags and big coats to combat the cold of the winter outside. His husband's eyes widened as he also realized that there was someone missing.

"He- he was here a minute ago. How-" Logan immediately began searching through the close area, peeking into shops that might grab a child's attention. Virgil followed close to Logan, trying to think and not panic and think of all the horrible things that might have happened.

Oh no, oh no, oh no-

"I told him to stay close to us. I told him to hold your hand, why isn't he holding your hand! What if he's alone and scared, what if he'd kidnapped, oh god, do you think Patton would accept candy from a stranger? What if-" Virgil rambled, not doing a very good job of keeping himself together. His husband stopped in his tracks, grabbing both of Virgil's hands.

"I'm going to need you to breathe, V. Okay? I'm sure Patton is alright, he was probably just distracted by something and wandered off, he might not have even realized he's lost." Logan tried to calm him, but Virgil wasn't fooled, he saw his own worry mirrored in Logan's eyes, knew Logan was calming himself as much as he was calming Virgil.

Virgil took a steadying breath, trying to push down the nausea at the thought of anything happening to their son. He squeezed Logan's hands, nodding to himself and pretending to believe Logan because the last thing Logan would need while looking for their lost son is to have to coax Virgil through a panic attack.

They slowly traced their steps back through where they had been coming from, Virgil wondering if he'd ever felt so stressed before in his life.

And then, from nearby, the oh so familiar laughter of their son. Both he and Logan whirled around and it was with a relief so strong that Virgil almost wanted to sink down to the floor right then and there that he finally spotted his son, about ten meters away by a bench.

"Patton!" Virgil exclaimed, getting their son's attention and he looked at them and smiled, a small innocent and unknowing smile, as if everything was alright and he hadn't just been scaring Virgil half to death.

"Hi dad, hi dada." He said, laughing a little as Virgil pulled him into his arms. He hugged Patton tightly to his chest, only letting go when Patton began complaining.

"Oh my god, you will be the death of me. You can't disappear like that, we were so worried, what if something had happened to you? Promise me to never run away like that again! You can't get lost in crowded places like these, okay? What if- We just need to know where you are in case you need us, okay?" Virgil said, sighing, not wanting to scare Patton with tales of kidnappers who would snatch kids in places just like this.

"I'm not lost, I'm making friends with Roman." Patton said, beaming and squirming out of Virgil's hold to make him pay attention to another boy Patton's age, who was wearing something that looked like a prince's halloween costume, toy sword in his hand and plastic crown on his head.

"Hi, I'm Roman! Can Patton and I play more?" The child said, smiling almost as much as Patton was. Leave it to their son to make friends in a crowded mall.

"Um." Virgil said, searching for his husband who wasn't at his side, finding him talking to two of women who Virgil after a few seconds realized must be Roman's parents.

"I'm not sure, there might not be time to play more now." Virgil said, pulling Patton into his arms again and kissing his head.

"Mom! Mom, I wanna play more with Patton, can I, please?" Roman said, pulling at his moms dress. His moms ended up exchanging numbers with Logan to get the two boys to quiet down and stop pestering them, and Patton and Roman seemed very happy with their promised future playdate.

Logan thanked the two women for keeping an eye on Patton and then they were on their way again, Virgil carrying Patton in his arms as they finally made it to the store they'd come here for. They hadn't even gotten to the right store before a disaster... Virgil really hated shopping.

"Can I walk myself?" Patton asked after failing to squirm out of Virgil's arms three times, reaching out for things he wanted or that looked interesting.

"No, I might never let you go again. I'm going to microchip you." He said, only half joking, actually kind of liking the idea of being able to track their son (then all potential kidnappers were fucked!). His husband shook his head, smiling fondly at the two of them.

--

Written: 31st December 2020 & 1st January 2021
Published: March 10th 2021
Words: 922

I was writing this was the clock was striking 12, welcoming the new year right, with analogical fanfiction lmao

Hey👀 im writing another book with some oneshots for a fluff fic event btw, in case anyone wanna read