"".....""

Everyone stood silently while setting their gazes upon the lifeless body of the person that was once their ally.

But even then, no one shed their tears. Not because they couldn't sympathize with the person's death, but because they could no longer grieve from their countless experiences.

Soon, a handmaiden made it's way toward the nearest position to witness the very cause of the uproar by herself. She wanted to make sure about what it involved, specially because of the fact that it might've been something connected to the person that she searched for all day long.

And now that she looked at the man that hung himself, from the tip of his socks to his face, her demeanor was immediately filled with deep shock and utter refusal of reality.

"No..."

Only she, was the one that was able to express her sadness and lament over the death of the manservant, before the crowd.

"No... no, no... no....... no..!!!!"

Amid the widening of the scars that were carved in her heart, a different maid, who was one of her friends, came to stop her behavior to avoid the risks of getting her involved with the occurrences.

"Avery!!!", she shouted her name, rushing to her side to give her either a comfort or a reminder to restrain herself.

"This can't be..... Reiner... he wouldn't do something like this....."

"This isn't.....!"

"This isn't how it should be!!"

Her eyes didn't bother to quit shivering. And neither did the tears of sorrow and resentment could stop itself from falling down her cheeks.

She felt betrayed.

There, with her desolate back profile, she slowly began to recall the events that happened between her presently deceased lover and herself.

"I'll drag us out of this place.", the man solidly proclaimed as if he has made his resolve.

Avery couldn't put her trust to his words so easily, and came to fear the idea instead of feeling reassured of the possibility of obtaining freedom, through thick or thin.

"Reiner... are you serious about this?"

"I am aware of the consequences if we fail, by chance. But, I'll think of several ways with the utmost of my ability so it wouldn't end in vain, so-"

"Gambling over this... it's crazy, Reiner!!", she refuted and continued.

"The opponent is Marquis Aubetré, you know?! We wouldn't stand a chance as soon as we get caught!!"

It was then that for the first time, Reiner talked back to her argumentatively, showing her his determination in terms of the issue.

"I know, I'm being selfish about this, Avery!!"

He clenched his hands tightly before he could say another word.

"This is for the sake of ourselves."

"We won't have a good future here-..."

"For as long as we remain in this place, our fate is to die. You've already realized this for so long as well, haven't you?"

The maid stayed quiet, not being capable enough to deny the guard's statement.

"Avery-"

"All I yearn for... is for you to earn the obligation of grasping your freedom and happiness."

"I want you... to be happy.", he added.

Reiner's words back then certainly allowed herself to support the man's decision. But all of those...

Could also be considered as nothing but a sweet deception so that her expectations would get betrayed, like now.

She cried and cried as truthfully as she wanted, to respect her beloved one's death. In a way, she blamed him for his death even if she already knew that he also had circumstances that drove him to something like this.

Still, she wasn't convinced.

Because of that, she wished to continue believing even after seeing this outcome. Her trust couldn't seem to have itself undone in just a snap of a finger.

Reiner... I..... She thought, and continued the words that she wanted to speak in her mind, which could be addressed as that one thing that she regretted the most in her life.

I loved you, from the bottom of my heart...

Even after losing the most important person in her life, Avery stood firmly as she slowly wiped her tears in that setting. She left a faint sign of hope in her heart, keeping it from its decreasing progress.

And watching her figure amongst the crowd, was the head butler of the mansion, who served the same master.

As soon as he briefly stared at the heartbroken maiden, he left the place with an eerie atmosphere surrounding him.

There, he wore a grin on his face behind the others' backs, and looked like he came to have a thorough idea to be of assistance in a matter he was involved.

It was a sign of a concrete victory.