If Only

Chapter Nineteen... If Only

I sat in our spare bedroom drawing circles on my small but definite bump. We were going to turn this into a room for the babies, but the room was only big enough for two. Becca had a larger room, and we were debating as to whether we should move her here, and give the triplets her room. Of course that meant painting this room pink, and returning Becca's room to a neutral colour, perhaps yellow.

Addy had the smallest room,  but her room was right next to ours. Becca's was way at the other end of the top floor, whereas the spare room was next to Addy's, then the bathroom and the den, which was too cluttered and too small for three babies. It was really quite a large house, though you wouldn't know it from the outside.

We had placed a new rocking chair in the bedroom I sat in, and I gently rocked in it. Addy was down for her afternoon nap, and Becca was with Cameron, grocery shopping. It was too quiet in this house when nobody was here...

Thirteen weeks down, I thought to myself. To think that in six months, we'd have five children... Becca would be four... Addy would be fifteen months old... and I'd be up to my ears in diapers, toys and mess.

But being the clean freak that I am, I hoped that I'd be able to keep up with it...

I must have dozed off in my thoughts, though, because the next thing I knew, Cameron was gently shaking me awake.

"Rose? Honey?" he whispered softly. I nearly leapt out of the chair as he put his hands on either side of me.

"Oh, you're home," I gasped.

"You must be exhausted, hon," he chuckled.

"Everything is so different," I sighed. "But... We're gonna have to put Becca in this room, and make her room the nursery. Addy's room's too small, and so is this one. What do you think?"

"That you've been thinking about it for too long?" he frowned. Then he laughed. "Honey, I think you've spent too much time in this room."

"Maybe," I agreed. "But I think I'm nesting. Already. I just want things all sorted out."

"Rose, you're only thirteen weeks pregnant!" Cameron laughed. "We'll sort it out I promise."

"So we agree?" I asked. "Becca moves in here, and the triplets get her room?"

"Okay," he agreed.

I smiled and gave him a peck on the cheek.

"I love you," I crooned, smiling at him.

>>>>

We had gone to bed early that night, as the girls crashed out around seven and I was exhausted. Cameron fell asleep in bed whilst I showered, and it didn't take long before I joined him. I began having dreams about ants crawling all over me, but that wasn't what frightened me awake. The phone began ringing at around midnight.

Who would be calling at this time?!

"Hello?" I heard Cameron say into the phone.

"Yes, she's right here," he said, answering the phone speaker. "Rose, honey, it's for you."

"Who is it?" I groaned sleepily.

"I'm not sure," he said slowly. I reluctantly took the phone from his outstretched hand.

"Hello?" I mumbled.

"Hello, Mrs Baker," the person on the other end spoke. "This is Amelia Richmond from the emergency room at Newland Hospital."

"Okay," I said, sitting up suddenly.

"We have your mother, father and brother here," the woman explained. "We need you to come here right away."

"What happened?!" I almost yelled.

"They were in an accident," she said simply.

"We'll be there soon," I said in a panic, hanging up the phone on the lady.

I rushed out of bed and dressed quickly, telling Cameron that my family were in an accident. I didn't even know what sort of accident. Adam was supposed to live with us, and my parents were gonna go to Australia. But then the plans changed, and my parents weren't keen on travelling there anymore. So they stayed home, and Adam stayed with them.

Cameron and I quickly grabbed our sleeping daughters, dropping them off with his parents on the way. They took them, understanding. Cameron drove as my mind kept drifting to the worst possible thoughts. Why were they out that late anyway? I remained silent, unable to form words. Cameron didn't say anything either as we pulled up at the hospital, running inside.

We asked the receptionist as to where my parents were, but they only said where my mom was. She led us down a long hallway, until we reached her. She looked pretty bad. Tears welled in my eyes as we were greeted by a doctor.

"Are you Rose Fisher?" he asked.

"Baker," I corrected. "Yes."

"Your mother is alright," he assured me. "A bit beaten up, but nothing life threatening. Mostly cuts from the glass, and a fractured tibia."

"And my dad?" I asked hesitantly. "Or my brother?"

"Your brother is in surgery," he told me. "He had some pretty bad internal bleeding, but the other car struck the driver's side. And he was sitting in the back seat on that side. Other than that, his injuries are pretty minor, considering. Just some deep cuts that had to be sutured."

"And... my dad?" I asked again, my voice breaking.

"Your father was worse off," he explained. I wasn't sure I wanted to hear this... "He suffered several broken bones, and he had some pretty severe head injuries."

"How is he?" I asked.

"He's in that room over there," he pointed to the room across from me. "But..."

Before he could finish what he was saying, I had burst into the other room he'd pointed to. Jenna and Nathan sat in there, on either side of my father. He was hooked up to a lot of machines. I couldn't hold in my tears as I saw my father in a way I'd never seen him before. Nathan and Jenna both looked up, then looked away again. Tears stained their usually smiling faces, and pain and love came over me as I slowly moved to hug my older brother.

All I could think was "If only they had gone to Australia, this never would have happened..."