13. Fear

Chapter Thirteen... Fear

"Mom, I'm thirsty again!"

This was getting on my nerves. For the sixth time in two hours Addy had come and asked me for a drink. She'd skull it, then ask for another.

"Addison, you just had a drink ten minutes ago!" I groaned. "You're gonna be peeing all night, you know!"

"But I'm thirsty," she wailed.

For the last two weeks Addy's water intake had increased to be alarmingly high. At first, I thought it was because she'd been sick the week it all started, but now I was more worried that something was wrong with her. She seemed fine, apart from being a bit tired. She had lost a bit of weight, too, but since she'd been sick I'd just convinced myself that her coming down with the flu had impacted her a lot.

"Fine," I sighed. "But if you start wetting the bed then don't complain to me. You're the one drinking all this water!"

"Thanks!" she grinned as I grabbed her another glass of water. Addy downed it quickly, and walked away.

"She's asked me for a couple of drinks, too," Cameron said after Addy left the room. "And then whinged that she was hungry."

"Something's not right, Cam," I sighed. "I know it."

"Rose, don't stress," Cameron whispered, hugging me from behind. "You'll drive yourself into an early labour."

"I'm only twenty-six weeks," I chuckled. "Maybe I should take her to a doctor."

"Why don't you ask Nathan when he gets here?" Cameron suggested.

"Oh, I forgot he was coming!" I shreiked. "Damn baby brain!"

"That's such an excuse for pregnant women to get away with things when they forget something," Cameron laughed. "Relax, baby. Nath rang an hour ago. He'll be here any minute now. Rachel had to get him to pull over quick when Ryder was gonna throw up."

"Gee, that reminds me of last year when we travelled to visit mom and dad and Becca projectile vomited all through the car," I frowned. "That girl has the worst car sickness sometimes."

"Looks like cousin Ryder is the same," Cameron snickered.

Becca hadn't always had car sickness, but in the last two years she would get the occasional bout. I wondered if she'd get sick on a plane, too. Bit worrying, since I was determined to go on a family holiday to London, France and Italy within the next two years. Six kids, two adults and we'd finally get a trip that didn't include a visit to our old neighbourhood.

When Cameron had taken his month of holidays, we didn't go anywhere. We just spent time at home as a family, and I went to school when I had to.

"I'll go finish cleaning up the kitchen," I said after a minute.

Just as I'd finished in the kitchen, Nathan, Rachel and Ryder turned up. I saw Nathan a couple of times a week, and he decided to come here and help teach me some more about medicine. I was dedicated to becoming a doctor, but I wouldn't do anything if it meant making my family distant.

"Rosie!" Rachel squealed as she ran up to hug me. "God, you look amazing when you're pregnant! So much better than I did. I was a whale!"