33. Rest In Peace, Lance Baker

Chapter Thirty-Three... Rest In Peace, Lance Baker

It was day break when we finally made it to the small town of Blueberry Point. Lance and Cassie had lived here for the last year, as they tended to move a lot. I'd personally never been here before, but the views from the lighthouse we drove up to were amazing.

"Why are we coming here?" I asked, not taking my eyes off of the scenery.

"Cameron asked me to bring you here first," Luana explained. "The family requested it."

"But we are family," I frowned.

"I know, but Elena wants some alone time with her eldest son," she sighed. "I begged my aunt, but she's stubborn. Cameron, Sarah, and Cassie and the kids all have to wait outside, to allow Elena and William time with their son."

"Only Elena would be like that," I said, getting out of the car as we came to a stop.

"Well, she's my aunt, and she's always been like that," Luana scowled. "Of course, you married into our family, and she's your mother in-law. Lucky you."

"I love her, but not always her ideals," I admitted.

"You're not the only one," she chuckled. "Even her children are the same."

"Cam doesn't talk about his resentments with his mother much," I sighed.

"Well, he's got a few," she informed me. "We used to talk about them a lot when we were kids. Of course, then my mom and Elena got into a fight, and we moved away. Kind of hard to know your family, when they cause arguments."

"I guess that's why I never met you until the wedding," I frowned.

"That's it," she smiled weakly. "But Cameron was sixteen when he rang me one day to talk. He was telling me all about this amazing girl he'd met named Rose, and that he was falling for her. I thought he was joking, you know. Lance was usually the one with all of the girls hanging off of him, and we joked that Cameron was gay. Of course, it was only out of torment."

"Fair enough," I laughed.

"Cam used to ring all the time, just to talk," she smiled. "He rang me one day, when he was eighteen. I think he'd finished school. He started his sentence with 'so I've got some news...' and I thought, oh here we go. What's he gonna tell me? And then he came out with something I totally wasn't expecting. When he said the words, 'I'm going to be a father' I didn't know what to think. My immediate reaction was 'Dude! You're only eighteen!' But he was excited. Then he dropped the second bomb, telling me he was engaged!"

"Bet that would have thrown you."

"It did. I was squealing with excitement through the phone. It was maddness! Then he was telling me about his fifteen year old girlfriend, which most people would think strange. But you could tell the way he talked about you that he loved you, and he said he couldn't wait to marry you. And that he startled you when he proposed."

"Yeah, I wasn't expecting it. I didn't know what to expect, actually."

"People in our family judged you two, but I stood up for you both. I was proud of you, proud for what you were doing. And you made a beautiful bride. Just because you were sixteen and pregnant doesn't mean you weren't in love. And you're still married now, with eight kids. I'd say you're incredibly brave, but you're amazing."

"Thanks," I smiled tearfully.

We walked back over to the car to find that Becca and Emily were both awake. Throughout the trip we had to stop a few times, change diapers, feed the kids, and of course ourselves. Addy got carsick, but only on one part of the road.