Hanging In Between Life And Death

Chapter Twenty... Hanging In Between Life And Death

It had been three hours since we'd arrived at the hospital after the accident that had left members of my family seriously injured. I had remained in the arms of my husband, whilst Jenna took comfort in Nathan's arms as her fiancée wasn't there, and neither was Nathan's girlfriend, who was working.

We sat in the room they had moved our father to, all huddled up in the corner. I had cried until my eyes were dry and stinging. All I kept thinking was what if my dad dies tonight? I wasn't ready to lose a parent yet. Well, I never would be. Nobody ever would.

I must have dozed off, because next thing I knew the sun was shining on my face. I slowly opened my eyes to see a group of doctors gathered over near dad. Nathan seemed to have fallen asleep, too, as he quickly leapt out of his sitting spot to greet the group. I hadn't noticed this before, but he was wearing scrubs. He must have been on call when our parents came into the hospital...

"Good morning, Fisher family," one of the doctors greeted us. Cameron stirred from underneath me. He'd obviously just woken, too. Jenna was sitting in a chair besde dad, which meant she'd woken up recently.

We listened to the medical words that came out of the mouths of the doctors, most of whom were surgical and orthopedic interns. I planned to become a doctor someday, but attending college anytime soon wasn't gonna happen. Nathan translated for us, though I'd been reading some medical textbooks at random and understood most of it.

They said that since my father lived through the night, he's got a bigger chance of surviving. The downside? If he did, he had a long recovery ahead of him, and he'd suffered some pretty extensive spinal damage, which meant he'd probably be paralysed. That brought a massive flow of tears on from me, and Cameron had to comfort me and take me from the room.

>>>>

After I'd calmed down, I went and seen my mom. She was awake, and had just been told by Nathan all about dad and Adam. Adam had been in surgery for several hours the night before, but they had controlled his internal bleeding. They did have to remove his spleen, but he would be alright, apart from the sixty stitches he had from deep metal and glass cuts all over his body.

Apparently he'd cried when he heard sixty stitches. Typical Adam. He might be a man but he's the biggest girl when it comes to being injured. Good luck mom...

I was glad to see my family alive. Cameron encouraged me to return home, pointing out that my daughters needed me, and that for now my parents and my brother were alright. I reluctantly went home, picking up our daughters on the way.

>>>>

That night I couldn't sleep. We'd put the girls to bed, and Cameron could tell I was restless. I kept tossing and turning, and eventually I got up and stormed off down to the kitchen. Cameron followed, noticing how irritated I was.

"Rose, you have to sleep," Cameron sighed. "The girls are depending on you to be alert, honey."