Disaster Hits Hard

Chapter Twenty-Eight... Disaster Hits Hard

I awoke in the early hours of the morning to something crashing. The house shook violently, and I suddenly became alert that it wasn't normal...

It was an earthquake.

"Rose?!" Cameron shouted in the dark.

"Cam! The girls!" I shreiked.

"Mommy! What's happening?" Becca wailed, running into our room.

"Cam! Get Addison!" I cried. "Becca, come here!" I added, and I stayed on the bed.

"I'll be back," Cameron gasped.

"Mommy!" Becca cried, her tears landing on my arm. "I'm scared, mommy!"

"So am I," I replied.

Sitting in the dark with no idea of where my husband and daughter were, I feared for all of our lives. I had only just entered the thirty-fifth week of my pregnancy, and I couldn't lose them before I knew them. Tears rolled down my eyes as I held onto my terrified four year old daughter, who had taken to digging her nails into my arm.

After a few minutes, the shaking stopped. The house seemed to be relatively intact, and I could hear sirens in the distance.

"Cam?" I called out, but there was no reply. "Cameron?!"

Where had my husband gone?

*Twenty-Four Hours Before...*

"Rose, the triplets are looking healthy. Everything's going to plan. Being triplets, it could be any day now."

I sat at the doctor's for another ultrasound. I smiled widely as I got to see my little babies once again, and I couldn't wait to meet them.

"Can you tell what the third baby is yet?" I asked expectantly. Each time, it had hidden its gender from me.

"No, sorry," Dr Barraby sighed. "I don't think it wants you to know what it is!"

"I guess not," I chuckled.

"The other two are definitely boys," she confirmed.

"Yay," I gleamed.

"Well, take it easy," Dr Barraby instructed. "Don't do too much overbearing work or anything. Don't pick the girls up. It's gonna happen soon. It could happen tomorrow. Get lots of rest, because I don't know if they're gonna have to be delivered by cesearean, or if they're gonna come natually."

"Okay, I will," I smiled. "Mom's been helping with the girls. Getting them to school when Cam's working and that."

"Excellent."

I went home to tell Cameron that everything was going well. But he seemed distracted.

"The triplets are fine," I grinned widely. "Could be any day now."

"Hmm," was all Cameron's response was. His head was buried in a newspaper.