2. Things Change. People Change

Chapter Two... Things Change. People Change

"Cameron! Come on! We're going to visit your parents! Now get out of bed!"

We were staying at my parents' house during our stay in town, and Cameron had slipped into holiday mode. The kids had also been a struggle to get out of bed, but eventually I had all five eating breakfast. Now to get my stubborn husband up...

"Cam!" I groaned. "Get up, would you?"

"No!" he mumbled, rolling over.

"Get out of bed!" I laughed. "Please? Lance is gonna be stoked to see you again."

"He's not coming," Cameron sighed, rolling back to face me.

"Why not?" I asked, frowning.

"Because he didn't come here this weekend," Cameron replied. "Cassie had to work, so he's at home with the kids."

"Oh," my face fell. "I was looking forward to seeing Alexander, Natalie and Ashton."

"I know," Cameron sighed. "So was I."

Lance and Cassie now had three kids. Alexander was three, Natalie eighteen months and Ashton five months. I'd only met Ashton once, when they came to visit us when he was two months old. Natalie was quick on her feet, and as their only daughter was clearly Cassie's favourite. I reserved judgement, but the way she treated Natalie was obvious.

As for Lance's supposedly fatal brain tumour? Well, it had miraculously stopped growing. It was still there, and it was still inoperable... and it would probably still kill him. But he was supposed to die two years ago, and he's still here with us.

Miracles do happen.

"Mom!" Becca came into the room. "I'm bored."

"Where are your brothers and sisters?" I asked.

"They're all watching TV," she frowned.

Becca was uninterested in the same television shows her siblings watched. And they didn't like what she did. Becca was quite often left out, because the boys would do everything together, and then Lily and Addy would play dolls together, and wouldn't let Becca play. When it was only me home with the five kids, Becca would spend most of the day shadowing me. If Cameron was home with them, she would spend the day alone in her room.

I felt sorry for her sometimes. She didn't make friends easily, quite often picked on and outcasted at school.

Addy was the opposite. At four and a half, she had a lot more friends than Becca ever did. I could see them in high school now. Addy would be the popular cheerleader who had boys hanging off of her, and Becca would be the girl who hid in the toilets at lunchtime because nobody wanted to eat lunch with her.

If it weren't for Cameron sticking with me through everything, I would have been that girl in the toilets when I was pregnant with Becca.

I didn't make friends easily, either. Becca took after me in that sense.