25. As They Grow...

Chapter Twenty-Five... As They Grow...

Life passed by incredibly quickly.

It seemed like only yesterday that we were getting Becca ready for big school. And I had never seen my little girl so excited! She put on her uniform and it was a struggle to get her to take it off. Then, just three years later, we were sending Addy off to school as well, which was only a year ago.

But now? The triplets were four and a half, closer to five, and would be starting kindergarten.

I was more nervous today than I had been with the two older girls. But I wasn't just sending one off to school for the first time, I was sending three!

My youngest Emily was ten and a half months old. But she wouldn't be the youngest for long. I was pregnant, and with twins! So soon enough I'd have EIGHT kids to look after. That scared me, but I was excited, too. And I was fifteen weeks' pregnant now, and looked like I was about five months along.

When it came to telling our families that once again we were expecting children, they weren't surprised. My mom muttered something about having an army of grandkids, but she still had one child who was yet to reproduce. Jenna had two, Nathan would soon have two, and soon I'd have eight. And as for Adam? Well, who knows where he's at.

"Mommy, I don't want to go to school," Lily whined, startling me and pulling me from my daydreaming thoughts.

"Huh?" I frowned. "Why not, Lil?"

"Because the kids were mean to Becca, and I don't want them to be mean to me, mom," she said sadly. "I don't like mean people."

"Oh, well yes, kids were mean to Becca," I admitted. "But they're not anymore. Ever since she made friends with Noah, she's made more friends and the bullies backed off."

"But they could still be mean to me," she sighed.

"Sweetie, I hope that kids are nice to you," I told her. "And if they're mean to you, remember that you have two brothers who will protect you, and two sisters that will fight to make sure that you're happy. And a mommy and a daddy that will do whatever it takes to make sure that you're happy, too."

"Are you sure? Mommy? Are you sure?" she asked quietly.

"Baby, I wouldn't let you go to school if I was worried that some bully was going to pick on you all the time," I smiled. "But life... it's hard. The older you get, the harder it gets."

"Is your life hard, mom?" she questioned.

"It can be," I sighed. "But not always. Because I have six amazing kids, and I couldn't imagine anything that would make me more happier than being a mom."

"What happens when the twins get here?" she asked curiously. "Will you stay home with them and Emily? Because Addy, Zane, Becca, Ethan and I will all be at school?"

"Lily, you're smart," I grinned at her. "And the twins are gonna love to have a big sister like you."

"Will they be boys or girls, mommy?" she asked, smiling now.

"I don't know," I answered honestly. "But I do know one thing," I added, grinning.

"What's that?" she frowned slightly.

"That I'm not going to find out until they're born," I smiled.

After convincing Lily that school would be good, I managed to get her and the boys dressed. Once all five kids were in their school uniforms, I gathered them together and took a picture. Lily was smiling now, finally starting to feel a bit of the excitement. But for her, it was mostly nerves.