The Future Scares Me

Chapter Forty... The Future Scares Me

"Well, your arm has completely healed! You're not gonna need a new cast for it or anything!"

I sat at the hospital with Nathan and the doctor who was tending to me. My arm had itched like crazy, but the annoying, restricting cast was now gone! I was smiling whilst I scratched at my now-healed arm.

"You will have to go easy on your arm for a bit," the doctor advised. "But it seems pretty good. Five weeks is a good healing time, though."

"Go... easy?" I frowned. "You obviously don't know me then."

"She's stubborn," Nathan laughed.

"Well, don't fall over or anything I mean," the doctor said, smiling.

He left the room, and my face lit up.

"Yay!" I squealed. "One cast down... one to go!"

"You're almost back to normal," Nathan grinned.

"At least I don't need that damn wheelchair anymore," I sighed, rolling my eyes.

"Not that you really used it..." he muttered.

"Oh, you're still not over that," I groaned.

"Cam's patient with you, you know," Nathan retorted. "You're incredibly stubborn."

"You grew up with me!" I snapped. "You know what I'm like."

"You're cranky," he noted.

"And you're annoying me," I frowned. "I have to go home to my beautiful kids... will you take me home please?"

"Fine," he sighed.

Nathan and I argued over stupid things the whole way home. I was now armed with a set of crutches, and I had returned the wheelchair. I really wanted to destroy the thing, but Nathan took it before I could. Probably for the best.

I arrived home to see Cameron on the floor with Becca and Addy, and the triplets were all sleeping. I hopped in, ignoring the crutches deliberately. Nathan followed, carrying the crutches I was supposed to be using.

"Hey honey!" I smiled, and Cameron stood up.

"You got the cast off?" he asked, looking at my arm.

"Yes, thank God," I grinned.

"Mom!" Becca cried, standing up and running over to me. "I got a thing from school today."

"What thing?" I asked Cameron.

"Just a letter about her graduating preschool," he smiled. "She's excited... I'm scared. She's gonna be in kindy next year!"

"Yes I am!" Becca grinned proudly.

"Hello, my little Bec!" Nathan smiled at Becca, and she ran straight to him.

"Uncle Nathan!" she squealed, and Nathan picked her up.

"One day you're just gonna be too big to run and jump into my arms you know," he said sadly. "But you'll always get cuddles from me."

"I'm getting bigger," Becca said with a smile. "I can't wait for school."

"Her fifth birthday is only weeks away," I sighed. "My girls are growing too fast! Addy's gonna be two soon!"