Graduation And Prom

Chapter Seven... Graduation And Prom

"For the last four years, we've all been here together. Fighting to fit in... struggling to make the perfect grade... making friends, and sometimes making enemies.Getting the marks we want... and being disappointed when we don't. Through the highs and the lows, we've done it together. We've had wins and losses... we've fallen in love, or at least we've thought we have. We've come a long way from the scared, easily intimidated freshman that walked through these doors..."

This was the start of my valedictorian speech.

"It's good, Rose," Cameron said, grinning. "I still can't believe they picked you."

"I'm the only straight-A student, apparently," I sighed. "And I got the highest SAT scores. So... Oh, I'm only gonna make a fool of myself, Cam! Why am I doing this!"

"Rose, calm down!" Cameron said calmly. "You're gonna do great! You're smart, beautiful and well they wouldn't have chosen you if they didn't think you could do it."

I rolled my eyes.

"I hate public speaking, especially in that school!" I complained. "Everyone hates me!"

"No they don't," Cameron soothed. "They're only jealous of you if they do, okay? But I love you, and that's all that matters. And Becca and I will be there to watch you give your speech at your graduation."

"Great," I groaned. "You can watch me screw it all up!"

"You won't screw it up, Rosie," Cameron smiled. "Now will you stop, please?"

"No," I said stubbornly. "Tomorrow there's gonna be a whale on the stage at my graduation, giving a valedictorian speech that everybody's gonna boo at!"

"You are not a whale, Rose!" Cameron groaned. "Stop putting yourself down, honey. Okay? Becca and I are so proud of you."

"I am a whale," I sobbed quietly.

"No, you're not," Cameron smiled. "You're my hot, pregnant wife. And you deserve to be valedictorian just as much as everyone else. And they chose you."

"You're only saying that because you're married to me," I snapped, throwing the notepad and pen that I was holding to the floor then getting up out of the bed.

I stormed out into the kitchen and grabbed a juice box from the fridge. As I sucked down the drink from the box, I thought about what else I could say in my speech. I had been trying to write it all day... all freaking day. I seemed to be unable to find inspiration for it, and it was almost midnight. I had to be at the school at eight in the morning for a senior class photo. Cameron had the day off work, so he'd be taking care of Becca all day. My prom was that night, and Becca was coming with us. My mom couldn't make my graduation because my grandmother was really sick in Ohio, so mom was with her.

That sucked.

I really wanted my mom to be there with me. To smile and wave at me as I got my high school diploma. It was sad that she wouldn't be there for me.

I heard Becca start crying, and I instantly went to her. As I walked in her room, she sat up and tried to wipe away her flowing tears. Her little pink blanket was curled up at the other end of her crib, and she looked a bit scared.

"Mommy, the boogeyman was gonna get me," she cried, standing up. I picked her up out of the crib.