23. Our Australian Adventure

Chapter Twenty-Three... Our Australian Adventure

Day One

Our first stop was at a place called the Gold Coast. We didn't travel far in the night, no. We wanted to see everything, and we wanted the kids to see everything as well. This was a whole new experience for us, and we didn't want to miss it.

So the bus pulled up at a small motel and we all spent the night there. The bus driver had a little bed under the bus that he slept in, so we left him alone for the night and all slept in a bed. Lily, Addy and Becca shared a double bed, the boys shared another double bed, and Cameron and I had the queen sized bed. Emily slept in a crib (well, when I said 'crib' the guy kind of frowned at me and muttered 'bloody Americans' under his breath) that was provided to us by the motel. They called it a cot...

We all slept soundly. Emily woke us all up at six in the morning, which was perfect. We checked out of the motel and boarded the bus again. Once I had all six kids buckled in, the bus roared to life, and we began travelling down the highway to Sydney.

Before we got too far, we stopped at a diner (well, they call it a roadhouse) for breakfast. I bought a book that was all about Australia. The facts, etc. I was excited, and the man complimented our American accents when he heard Becca talking to me about... oh, I can't remember now. Something to do with Noah, I think.

Getting back on the bus was easy, and the kids were all excited. Becca buckled herself in, as I put Emily in her seat. She would probably sleep half the way, but I pulled my camera out and started taking pictures of the kids and Cameron on the bus. Becca kindly took one of Cameron and I, which turned out to be an amazing photo.

I started reading the book, and realised that Cameron had been wrong about something.

"Uh... Cam?" I chuckled, looking up at him. "What did you say the capital of Australia is again?"

"Sydney," he said confidently.

"Nope," I laughed. "You're wrong."

"Then what is it?" he frowned.

"Canberra," I grinned.

"Whatever," he rolled his eyes jokingly. You had to look it up in a book, didn't you? So you don't get credit for knowing it at all."

"Well, it's the most populated city in Australia, this Sydney place," I smiled. "Canberra is just... the capital. Well, it has parliament house, and all of those things. Oh! We should make a day trip to Canberra!"

"Uh... maybe," Cameron sighed. "We'll see."

I slumped back in my seat and continued reading. The more I read, the more I realised that there was a lot to see in this country. No way could you do it in a week! The pictures were truly amazing, leading me to want to see everything there is to see in Australia.

But we were only here for a week. And we could only see so much.

I was barely taking notice when Cameron snapped his fingers in my face to get my attention. I looked up blankly, and he smiled.