18. You Are My Joy

Chapter Eighteen... You Are My Joy

Life had always had a tendency of working in my favour with a few little surprises in between. But of course, as life was, it never went the way you expected it to in the long run.

When I was twelve, I believed that I'd be a doctor by the time I was twenty-five, with maybe one child. But as I got older, I decided that I wanted a career first, then children. That is, until I learnt I was pregnant back when I was fifteen, with my eldest Becca. She was now eight and a half, I was twenty-four, and my dream of being a doctor kept getting pushed into the background. My one child was six, but the reality?

I couldn't imagine it any other way.

"I'm glad that I didn't have to have a hysterectomy," I smiled as I held Emily in my arms. "I couldn't bear the thought of not being able to have another child ever if I wanted to."

"Does that mean you want to?" Cameron asked.

"Maybe in a couple of years," I chuckled. "I don't know. But I like having the option."

"I still can't believe that she's four months old already," Cameron sighed. "She'll be walking and talking and stealing her sisters' clothes before we know it!"

"Oh, I know," I agreed. "But... well, we're all getting older. You're twenty-eight! And I turn twenty-five soon... just a little bit scared."

"Yeah... I suppose, not many almost twenty-five year olds have six kids," he giggled.

"Shh!" I hissed, laughing. "I like that I have six kids. Even though people frown at me..."

"I couldn't picture us without all of them. Becca's getting so much more confident now. And I think Noah has helped that a lot. Addison's finally letting us help her diabetes properly. Ethan and Zane are getting slowly out of their rebellious stage... Lily's learning to write her name, and can read fluently. And Emily... well, she's tiny but she's come a long way."

"Yeah, they all have. From being born, I mean."

"I don't think either of us are going to forget the earthquake from when the triplets were born. I mean, I remember going to Seattle just so that Addy wasn't alone."

"She was so little then..."

"The triplets were all born... and your mom had to look after Becca, because she was only four then. I remember you telling me how angry she was."

"Bitter more like it. She didn't like not being the centre of attention. Boy, did she get used to it fast though!"

"Well, we didn't really give her a choice..."

"But she's started to mature now. It's good... finally."

"Rose... oh, what would we do without these kids?"

"I don't know. I love them way too much, and can't imagine life without them. Without any of them."

"Looks like little Emily here's getting tired," Cameron pointed out. I looked down, and our youngest daughter was starting to doze off in my arms.

"I'll put her to bed," I smiled, standing up from the bed and walking over to her bassinet. I put her down, and two minutes later she was sound asleep.

"Can't help but think that soon Becca's gonna be running around with boys chasing her."

"Boys? No, something tells me that her and Noah will be together forever."