10. Week Thirteen

Chapter Ten... Week Thirteen

Becca had been seeing a child psychiatrist once a week for the last six weeks, and they had come to the conclusion that Becca isolated herself because she didn't feel like she fitted in. And that when she did feel like she fitted in, the kids she thought were her friends would bully her, and that would lead her to not trust anyone.

It was amazing how much they had gotten her to open up in just six sessions.

She had become happier at home though, as her psychiatrist, Dr Lethman, encouraged her to trust her brothers and sisters and play with them, bond with them. And it took her a while, but her confidence at home had started to grow.

Progress.

Now just to get her some friends, and she would be back to the Becca that we all knew and loved. I hated seeing one of my kids so unhappy.

"Dr Lethman thinks I'm intelligent," Becca smiled after her latest session. "She's like an older friend for me, mom. I can tell her anything."

"You can tell me anything, too, Bec," I said to her.

"I guess," Becca replied. "But Dr Lethman listens to me. You do to. But she does more. Maybe because she gets paid to, I don't know. But she helps me."

"That's good," I smiled. "After all, it's why we sent you there."

"She thinks I might make friends if I went to a new school," Becca sighed. "But I love my school. And I don't want to change. And she said that's good... it's good that I like school."

One of the recommendations by Dr Lethman was that both Cameron and I spend one hour a week with Becca. In fact, she said that because we gave her so much attention when she was younger, before we had Addy, she didn't adjust well to having to share the attention. And then when the triplets were born, she felt as if she was pushed to the side.

I was actually quite offended by that, knowing that we didn't at all isolate Becca in that way. But I had made sure that I spent time equally with all of my kids alone, and every now and then Cameron and I would spend a bit of time with Becca, usually drawing.

The reality was that Becca feared growing up, and she hated that her siblings were so much younger than her. And Becca herself admitted that to me.

When we arrived home, Becca happily skipped off to play with Lily, who was creating buildings out of the books in the living room. I wandered out onto the back deck, where Cameron was with the boys. Addy was asleep on the couch in the living room.

"How did today's session go?" Cameron asked as the boys wrestled on the ground nearby.

"Boys! Cut that out!" I snapped, and the two of them stopped. "Yeah, it was good. Becca's playing with Lily right now. She skipped inside."

"Skipped?" Cameron laughed.

"Hey, she was extremely happy," I smiled. "Becca hasn't been this happy for a while. And she even told me this morning that she's happy about the new baby after weeks of telling me she hated the baby..."

"She didn't hate the baby, she just hated the idea of it," Cameron frowned. "But to hear that she's warming up to the idea? It's fantastic!"