Best Friend

I just got out of a meeting with Mark when my phone started ringing. I took my phone out of my pocket and saw that it was Melina calling me. I answered the call and put my phone to my ear. 

   " Hey, Melina. What's going on? "

   " Nothing. Hey, we're best friends, right? "

   " Yes. Why? What do you want? "

   " Why do you assume I want something? "

   " Because you're talking in that tone like you do and you just asked if I was your best friend. Now, what do you want? "

   " Alright, you got me. Can you house sit? "

   " What? "

   " Can you come over and watch my house for a while. I have a trip I need to go on and I can't avoid it. "

   " What is this trip for? "

   " Work. We found a new discovery and I have to travel a long distance to go and help them observe it. "

   " How long would I be staying? "

   " Maybe a few months. "

   " How many is ' a few' in your book? "

   " Maybe four months. "

   " I guess I can. I'll have to inform my employer about it. I'm sure he'll be fine with me working on my computer. "

   " Awesome! You're the absolute bestest best friend in the whole entire world! "

   " Thanks, Melina. When do you need me over? "

   " In a few hours. "

   " Hours? Melina when are you leaving? "

   " Today. "

   " Why did you call me today and ask!? "

   " I kept forgetting about it until today! Don't yell at me! Just get over here as quick as you can! "

   " You realize I would have to leave work right now in order to get to your place by sunset right? "

   " You better start running. "

You could hear the beep of the phone when someone hung up. You pulled your phone away from your face and saw that she did indeed hang up. You shoved your phone back in your pocket and walked to your boss's office. He was old and kind so you knew he would let you go. When you asked him he smiled at you and told you to take a few days off and then you could start working remotely on Monday. You thanked him and left the office. You took the elevator and traveled to the lobby to get to your car. You threw your stuff in the passenger's seat and started driving to your apartment. You got there in five minutes flat and ran to your apartment. You slammed your door opened and started grabbing all of your stuff to pack.

   ' Stupid Melena. Why did she have to tell me now!? Of all times it had to be right now. SHe better be glad that I'm her best friend or I wouldn't be doing this. '

I packed my suitcase and changed into some more comfortable clothes. I grabbed my suitcase and left my apartment, locking it behind me. I put my suitcase in the trunk of my car and got into the driver's seat.

   ' Let's start driving to Melenas. It'll take me at least three hours to get there. Let's see if I can find some music to play. '

You touched the radio dial and started searching for a song or station to listen to. Eventually, you settled on a station and the song had just ended and a new one started playing.

   " Well, that's bizarre. But we'll go with it. "

You continued to drive and stopped to get lunch on the way before getting to Melena's place.