Miss Timey-Whimey

We've all calmed down and introduced ourselves. The trio is looking for their friend that was taken by Thanos. Apparently, they got a message from Gamora's sister to meet them here. Thanos's homeworld.

We decide to explore a little and gain some understanding of the place. Quill, who prefers to be called “Starlord”, pulls out a small, glowing tube. “The hell happened to this planet?” He walks around holding it up. “It's eight degrees off its axis. Gravitational pull is all over the place.”

Right as he says that I walk into a spot with lower gravity. I jump a little and gain a decent amount of height. I have to admit, it's quite fun.

Mantis finds one of these spots too and mimics me. I hop into her area, and we bounce with each other. She sticks out all of her limbs and twirls around a few times.

I didn't realize Dad was talking until he calls out Drax for yawning. “Are you yawning? In the middle of this, while I'm breaking it down? Huh?”

I slowly inch my way back beside Peter. I would hate for Dad to think I'm not taking this seriously. “Did you hear what I said?” 'Please repeat it because I sure didn't.' If I really need to know, I'll ask Peter a little later.

“I stopped listing after you said 'We need a plan.'” Dad turns away from Drax but continues to point at him. “Okay. Mr. Clean is on his own page.”

Mantis waves at me, so of course I wave back. She's a very strange being, but I don't dislike her at all.

“See, not winging it, isn't really what they do.” Peter also points toward the two. “Uh, what exactly is it that they do?” I push down his arm, “Peter, it's rude to point.”

Mantis starts talking, very confident in her words. “Kick names, take ass.” I smile, “Peter, I may just really like-like her.” Drax confirms her statement.

My group looks dumbfounded and Dad sighs. “Alright, just get over here please.” His attention returns to Quill. “Mr. Lord, can you get your folks to circle up.” Quill echos my father, realizing what Dad just called him, and he isn't amused. “Starlord is fine.”

Everyone huddles slightly closer and Dad proceeds to explain his plan. “We gotta coalesce. 'Cause if all we come at him with is a plucky attitude-” Quill interrupts my father. Bad idea. “Dude, don't call us plucky. We don't know what it means. Alright, we're optimistic, yes. I like your plan. Except it sucks, so let me do the plan, and that way it might be really good.”

I can tell my father is struggling to keep his composure. Drax decides to bring something incredibly humorous to the conversation. “Tell him about the dance-off to save the universe.” I feel bad for whoever or whatever was being saved by that plan.

“What dance-off” Quill decides to brush it off. “It's nothing,” he stammers.

“Like in Footloose, the movie?” Starlord looks at Peter with wide eyes. I can almost see a speck of wonder in them. “Exactly like Footloose. Is it still the greatest movie in history?” Both Peter and I question this man and his opinions on movies.

“Was it ever?” Peter quickly answers both questions. “No, it never was.”

Dad turns around and walks a little away. “Don't encourage this, all right. We're getting no help from Flash Gordon here.”

Quill sure likes to repeat stuff, “Flash Gordon? By the way, that's a compliment.” I may not have a Spidey-Sense, but I do have a “This-Person-Is-About-To-Say-Something-Stupid-Sense,” and Quill is setting it off right now. “Don't forget, I'm half human. So that fifty percent of me that's stupid, that's one hundred percent you.” He circles his finger around us.

“Your math is blowing my mind.” I notice Mantis looking away. “Excuse me. Does your friend often do that?” We all look over to Dr. Strange who is floating in the air. A slight, green mist surrounds him.

His head jerks side to side, almost as if he's searching. However, it speeds by like he's been fast-forwarded. “Strange? We alright?” Dad slowly steps towards him, he snaps out of whatever he was doing and falls.

I jog towards him and crouch beside my dad. Peter asks what's on everyone's mind, “Hey, what was that?”

“I went forward in time to view alternate futures. To see all the possible outcomes of the coming conflict.” I hate messing with timey-whimey stuff. It never turns out good. Butterfly Effect and all that.

“How many did you see?” Quill questions.
“14,000,605.” Strange answers.
“How many did we win?” I almost don't want to hear the answer.
“One.” And that would be why.

“I certainly don't like those odds.” My awkward chuckle turns into a groan.

Everyone starts to dispersed for a moment as Quill and Tony decide to work out a plan. “Good luck with that.” I know how hard my dad is to work with. I've also discovered how much of a dimwitted asshat Quill is.

I sit down on some scrap metal and contemplate everything. I still no sure just how big of a threat this Thanos is. He seems pretty dangerous, but to what extent? I push it back. It's probably better not to think about it.

I look over to Peter. He doesn't seem too busy. “Hey, Peter?” The boy I expect to turn around does, but so does Quill. “Uh, I mean my Peter. Wait, your name is Peter?” He rolls his eyes and looks away. “Interesting.” Peter comes and sits down beside me.

“So, how ready are you?” He looks confused. “For Thanos? I know Strange said we only won in one timeline, but I'm going to pretend that he didn't look into enough futures.” He nervously sighs. “I just hope Strange knows exactly what to do to guarantee we head towards the right future.”

I decide not to talk anymore, deciding to just bask in Peter's presence. He seems to do the same.

The moment ends when Quill yells for everyone. Pete gets up first and offers his hand. I gladly take it even if it didn't help either way.

“Okay, we've come up with a plan. It was mostly me, but I have to admit the Tin Man had a few good ideas.

Dad goes on to explain the plan. Starting with the distraction.

A/N: If you haven't already, please check out my latest announcement. It is about this fic.

Happy New Years!