Miss Out-of-the-loop

After we make sure there is no glass at all left she walks off to monitor the rest of the party. I go to find Pete and Ned but I only find Ned. He seems to be looking for something, probably Peter. "Ned, where's Pete?" He just lifts his arms to signal "I don't know." I look around and outside the window. At least he's hiding while he's changing. "I can't believe he is really doing this. He should have never told people he knew Spider-Man. It's already barely believable he knows Tony Stark. I didn't even believe him at first." Ned nervously chuckles, "Yeah, he shoulda kept it to himself."

I walk around the party some more -mainly waiting for Spider-Idiot before I realize he's not coming back. I sit in the corner the rest of the night, big crowds freak me out. I can do okay in this as long as someone I know is close to me. But MJ left a while ago and Ned and I can't walk around together, not after the rumors that we were an item circulated last year.

I'm drifting asleep when Liz wakes me. "You can crash in my guest room if you need, " she says in such a sweet tone. "No, I'm fine, I should head home anyway." She nods and I get up to leave.

I'm beat when I get home. Of course though, as soon as my head hits the pillow, I get a call from my dad. I answer and he immediately lectures me. "Why did you answer so fast. You should be sleeping."

"Oh, but when I am sleeping and I don't answer on the first ring you get mad."

"That's my job, anyway, your friend Peter. Keep an eye out for him, keep him out of trouble."

"What kind of trouble? Is your internship program that extreme."

He laughs, "That's right, trouble from the internship." I want to groan. "Dad is there something about the internship you aren't telling me about. You know besides the fact that it exists because you never told me."

"I didn't think you'd want to know about something boring like that, plus the kid told you about it so it's fine."

"You've meet Spider-Man right?" I say randomly. He's silent for a moment, rare for him.

"Of course, I brought him to Germany after all."

"Well, if I found out who he was would you be honest with me." He hesitates again.

"Yeah, sure, but you won't be able to gue-"

I interrupt him, "who said anything about guessing. I figured it out with clues and proven it, twice."

"Then, who is it." I wait for a second to think of something funny to say.

"It's my secret half brother you've never told me about." He then asks "What?" In a tone that suggests, he doesn't know if I'm joking or not.

"No, it's Peter Parker," I say and Dad confirms, but it's not anything special, I already knew.

"Keep him out of trouble, and make sure not to get yourself in trouble." We say our goodbyes and he hangs up.

It's my free period when I see the boys start acting weird again.

"Boys!" I try and get their attention. They stop and wait for me.

"First, I say we put the glowy thing in the mass spectrometer." What is the 'glowy thing?' I ask myself.

"First, we gotta come up with a better name than, glowy thingy."

"You're right." I feel out of the loop. I was just about the ask what they were talking about when Peter freezes.

"Crap, " he says before running behind a wall. I follow him and he whispers to get Ned over here. I can't see whatever they are seeing. "Guys, what the hell is going on, " I say as quietly as I can. It seems they didn't hear me, and I can't hear them. Then Peter runs off. Ned turns to me. "Please tell me what's going on.

"Peter found some weird glowing thing after he left the party, it's definitely alien. Those guys tried to kill him and they might be working with the guy who threw him in a lake." All I can do is nod.

Tiny knocks on the window we were in front of.

"What are you doing?"
"Nothing," Ned says, "Free period." I elaborate.
"Oh, " Tiny responds.
"Yeah, you good?" The energy is extremely awkward right now.
"Chess."

After school Peter texts our group chat.

Peter-Man
Guys, come over to my place, I've got something to show you.

Man in the Chair
Okay, what time.

Morgan
Why? What's going on?

Peter-Man
I put a tracker on one of those guys. 6:30

So now I'm walking to Pete's again. I need a bike. Peter answers the door this time. "Come on, come on." He practically pulls me in by my waist. Ned is holding one a Pete's webshooters, it has a hologram model of the city. Peter hops onto the bed by Ned.

I pull up his desk chair. "This is so awesome, " Ned says suddenly.
"I second that."

"I know, right?"

Ned pokes at the image and the image clears up.

"They're in Brooklyn."
We wait for what seems like hours for something to happen. I've made my way to the corner to nap. Ned is lying on the bed with Peter's mask on.

The webshooter beeps which startles me awake and Ned sits up.

"They're moving." Peter drops from the ceiling. "Maryland?"
"What's there?"

"I don't know."
"Evil lair?" Both me and Peter say in unison.
"They have a lair?"
"Dude. A gang with alien guns run by a guy with wings? Yeah, they have a lair."

Ned nods, "Badass. But how are you gonna get there if it's, like, three hundred miles away?" All three of us look at Pete's Academic Decathlon poster.

"It's not too far from D.C."

"Pete, you know they aren't going to let you back in."