Miss Coincidence

“What are you going to do about the water monster?” My best friend asks me.

“Nothing. It's dead. Besides, that Mysterio guy's all over it.” I start walking towards our shared room. “Look, I just wanna spend some time with Morgan. I sort of cleared up a misunderstanding between us and I think this trip could turn out great for us.” 

Ned follows me, “That's nice. Reminds me of when Betty and I first fell in love. I had just finished my fruit cobbler, right-”

I turn around after Ned abruptly stop talking. Nick Fury sits on a chair behind me.

“You're a very difficult person to contact, Spider-Man.” I take the toothbrush out of my mouth.

“You're Nick Fury.” Nick Fury is sitting in my hotel room. Remembering Ned, I look over at him, “And you just shot Ned.”

Fury speaks calmly. “It's just a mild tranquilizer. He'll be all right.”

I'm going to pretend like this isn't the craziest thing to happen to me personally. “So good to finally meet you. I saw you at the funeral, but I didn't think that was a good time to exchange numbers.”

“No, that would've been inappropriate.”

“That's what I just said. The important thing is, you're here. I tried to bring you here. You avoided me, and now you're here. What a coincidence.”

The door to my room opens, and I start to panic. “Hey, Peter. Can I talk to you about something?” Thank goodness, it's just Morgan.

“Speaking of coincidences. Morgan Stark, welcome. This will save us some time.”

Morgan closes the door when she sees Fury. “What's going on? Why is Ned unconscious?”

Morgan walks away from the door, closer to Fury.

“I used to know everything. Then I come back five years later, and now I know nothing. No intel, no team. And two high school kids are dodging my calls. Here's what I do know.”

Fury places a device on the glass table. It makes a noise and projects a map.

“A week ago, a village in Mexico was wiped out by a cyclone. Witnesses say that cyclone had a face.” The projection changes as he talks.

Ned snores and the three of us turn our attention to him. “Three days later, a similar event in Morocco. A village was-” There's a knock at the door as Harrington walks in.

It seems both Fury and Morgan are just out of his view. “Just making the rounds. See if anyone needs any emotional counseling after today's traumatic events.”

Fury aims his gun towards my teacher. Silently I yell at Harrington to leave. “No, we'll be okay. We're fine. Thank you.”

“Great because I'm not qualified to actually-” He switches to a whisper. “Oh, he's passed out. I'm not qualified to do it anyway. So good night.”

Relief rushes over me as he leaves and closes the door. “That was my teacher. Sorry about that. You were saying?”

Morgan covers her eyes and sighs. “A village was destroyed by what may be another world-threatening-”

Another knock. “Babe, you still awake? You're not answering any of my texts.”

If Fury shoots Betty, Ned is going to kill me. “Um, he's asleep, Betty.”

“Oh, already?”
“Mm-hmm. Yeah!”
“Okay.”

Fury immediately starts talking again. “That's why it's imperative-”