Miss Normal

I wasn't till midnight that Peter left. He slipped on his suit over his clothes and jumps on my balcony rail. He says goodbye and puts on the mask. I can't help but be sad, clearly, he sees my expression and hugs me from his perch. A little awkward, but I'm sure it would look cool for a movie.

"Bye Peter." I wave as he jumps off. A sudden yawn emerges from my throat. "Guess that's my cue for bed." My body slams into the mattress and I immediately fall asleep.

The next day is slow. So slow that I feel like I'm suspended in jello. That is until I get a package at my door. I know better than to open it in my house, so I but on rubber gloves and leave for an alleyway somewhere.

Once I find a suitable spot, I slip on my respirator and rip open the small box. It's a digital camera and a note. "dear miss morgan stark. we wish to FOrmally invite you to a ceremony in your honor. We wiLL prOvide quality food and drink. With the finest cheese. all yOu have to do it attend. surely won't disappoint Us with youR CrueL declination. Unless you havE other planS."
The capitalization is atrocious. It spells something, doesn't it?
"Follow our clues." Could have at least made it a little harder. What was the point?

I grab the camera and start looking through the pictures. It's just three girls standing in front of different buildings. "I'll have Mai look for connections when I'm home." Getting up to head home, I leave the box and note.

At home, I transfer all the photos to my computer. Mai starts to look through them.
"I have analyzed the photos. They all are taken in front of buildings in the local area. Once I compared them to a map I notice a pattern." Mai displays the map and lines that form an arrow. It points directly to an abandoned parking garage. "It's a meeting point. They have my address, so if I don't go they'll just come to me."

"Would you like me to call your father and brief him on the situation?"
"No! Mai, whatever happens, my father can't get involved!"
"Would you prefer Mr. Parker?"
"No. I'm going to do this on my own. Well, with you of course." I continue looking through the pictures. Every one of them has those girls. Sadly, they are always facing away from the camera. Just like on the internet.

I notice one photo with a strange date. It's a week from now. I guess someone knows how to change their camera date settings. "What is going on? Who are these girls and what are they planning?

The rest of the day I work on adding weapons to my suit. A switchblade in the heel of my boots, another laser gun on the opposite hand, and a few other small hidden tools. Then I spray paint the wings a light brown color on the outside. Adding some black accents, it now fits the description of a nightingale. Seems like the rest of the day just goes by in a flash.

"Mai, lights out." And with that, I fall asleep.

The next day at school I try and act like everything is normal. I finally let everyone know my biggest secret and now I'm just lying again. That's the life of a wannabe superhero. Peter acts a little different though, I think it's just because of the other night. He grabs my hand more than before, and he even walks just a bit closer than before. Of course, I'm not complaining. MJ notices and asks me about it in the hall. "What did you guys do the other night? Must have been something big."
"It's nothing. We just had our first kiss. That's all." I try to brush it off so she doesn't bug me about it. She still does though.
"What do you mean nothing? That's really something!"
"Y'know, I never took you for someone who likes girl talk. MJ"
"I don't, but you're my best friend. I want to know."
"We were just doing homework," I explain exactly what happened, and then she tries to give me 'the talk'. "No, no, no, no! MJ. I know what happens. I took the same class that you did. Plus Peter and I aren't like that right now."
"Oh, I know. I just wanted to see your face. Priceless." I sigh and walk into my class. Typical MJ.

Thankfully I've lost everyone's interest and they've moved on over the weekend. It's only been a week and everything at school has gone back to normal. The time rushes forward and I head home. I can't help but let my mind wander back to the package. The date on the picture must be a meeting time. It just so strange, what did I do to get them to target me. Why go so far as to send a not-so-cryptic note to my door.

"Morgan!" I turn to see Peter running towards me. "I wanted to walk you home, but you were already gone before I could ask you." He reaches me, "Sorry. I've just been occupied with a few things. I wanted to get home as soon as I could."
"What are you busy with?"
"Oh, not much, just stuff." I've never been good at making excuses underpressure. Why have I thought up excuses for every situation except this one?

"Let's go then." Peter grabs my hand and we head towards my building. He talks about the latest with himself and Ned while I try and pay attention. My mind just won't let go of those girls. Before it was so easy to just listen to him, now it's like there's a wall keeping me from pay attention to anything.

"Then he asked me when he would get a suit." I laugh with him. I see our destination in the distance. I dig for the paper with my new pin on it. We get there and he insisted on taking me up too. He knows I do better in the elevator with him.

Slowly we ride up and I put at least half my weight on him. It dings and we get off. Every time I'm back on steady floor I almost feel like getting on the ground and kissing it.

"Well, this is me. Thanks for the escort, Pete."
"It was nothing. I actually wanted to ask you if anything was up with you. You've seemed a little off today. I just wanted to make sure nothing was new with the stalker."
"No, I'm normal, everything normal. I guess I'm just still sleepy from the weekend." He nods and turns to leave. "See ya tomorrow, Morgan."
"See ya, Pete."

A/N: Sorry here's part 1 of the double update. If you didn't see my announcement, I'm doing a double update because I feel like the story is kind of dragging right now. So putting out two chapters two days in a row should hopefully get us to the actual plot.