Miss Detention

I'm in a room with a handful of other kids, including MJ and Peter. Captain America's voice plays from the small television set. I'm not looking up from my notebook though. Doodling possible gimmicks. Bee Women; no that's someone I think. The Swan. No that's just generic. I started sketching angel wing design concepts.

Eventually, I scratch them out though. 'How cliche would an angel superhero be?'  I just can't think of something with wings. After I saw the man with metal wings I've been obsessed with them. The wings, not the man. Angel might be my best fit. Unless I want to go bird-themed like Sam.

Peter bumps into my chair and I look up, he leaves in a hurried march.

"Hey, where you going? Get back here." Coach Wilson barely makes and effort. Cap continues to speak in the background. The Coach looks directly at me and MJ. "Why are you two here?" He motions to us. "You don't even have detention."

I came because I had nothing to do beside wait for Pete to get out. I saw MJ sneaking in, so I followed. "Oh, I know, I just like coming here to sketch people crisis." MJ holds up a picture of what I can only assume is Coach Wilson. "Hey, it's you."

I stand up and point to the door. "Actually I'm with him. So I'll go now, bye." I give him a small wave and shuffle out of the room.

I find Peter as he pulls up a set of lockers, he grabs something and continues on. I planned to follow him and see what he was going to do about the man with metal wings. But as soon as I exit the building Dad calls me. "Hey, how's it going?" I turn around to walk home because that's where he'll want to see me or pick me up.

"I just saw the D.C. footage, I'm coming to your apartment. I can't believe you didn't call me. I would have picked you up. Straight from D.C." I smile at the idea, but i know it wouldn't have worked out.

"You know you couldn't have done that. Tony Stark picking up a random kid, absolutely scandalous." He scoffs at me like I'm the one being ridiculous.

"Screw all of that, you are my daughter, my flesh, my blood. Hell or high water I am there for you after a near-death experience."

"Ok, I understand, I'm sorry for worrying you and Happy. Tell him for me real quick please."
"Would if I could, he not with me right now."
I reach my apartment and head up the stairs. The elevator is like a demon sent to haunt me for the rest of my life.

"Oh, I'm glad you aren't making him drive you everywhere." After six flights of stairs, I can barely even talk to my dad on the phone. "Hey dad, let's talk when you get here. In can barely breathe at the moment."

"Why didn't you just take the elevator?" He catches himself before I have to answer. "Right, sorry, I can move you to the ground level if you want."
"No, dad I'm fine. I need the cardio anyway."
"Well, Im almost there. Hide all your boyfriends." I laugh and play along.

"I don't know, they all want to meet you pretty badly." He says goodbye and hangs up.
"Mai, hide all the boys," I ask, curious about her response. "The boys? Is that what you're calling your suit now?"

"No, no, nevermind. But yeah, hide the suit too." The intercom beeps and I press the button to let Dad in. By the time he has ridden the elevator all the way up, my projects should be hidden.

There's a knock at the door. I run to my couch and jump over the back, the TV turns to a random episode of some show on Netflix.
"Come in," I say, even though he would whether I said so or not.  The door clicks open and the tapping of shoes can be heard in the entrance. I turn innocently around to see Dad. He's fairly normal-looking today. Not a suit and tie, but a T-shirt and jeans.

"Oh, who are we trying to impress?" He rolls his eyes and sits beside me on the couch. "You, but it's less trying to impress and more trying to look normal. This is what Natasha said dads wore."
"Is that so. She really knows how to make a billionaire look like a hundredaire."

"Yeah, I guess, it's the cheapest thing I own I believe. Anyway, what is up with you, are you doing okay? I know you've never really liked elevators, then all this. No wonder you took a six flight climb." He drapes his arm around the back of the couch behind me.

"Yeah, I'm fine, Spider-Guy came to save the day." He looks at me funny. "What?"
"Spider-Guy? Is that what you call him?" 

I shift uncomfortably in my spot. "Uh, yeah, I just like to make fun of him. I'm still trying to find nicknames for when he's not in costume. Can't give away is identity." He nods and looks at the TV.

"Since when did you watch The Great British Baking Show?" I notice what's playing and quickly make up an excuse.

"Yeah, I wanted to try baking. I actually planned to head to the store to get some ingredients." He nods, temporarily accepting my excuse. He knows when I lie. Even if it's not very often.

"After you figure it out, you should make me something. But work out the kinks first. Wouldn't want food poisoning." He winks and I know he's joking but at the same time serious. My cooking is exceptionally bad.

"Well, what do you want to do today. I've canceled everything. It's just you and Iron Dad today." I laugh and turn to sit on the couch sideways.

"How about we play catch." Dad raises an eyebrow in confusion. "Really, I wouldn't take you for a 'Catch with Dad' kind of a girl. I chuckle and shake my head. "No, I just thought it would be fun to say since that's what fathers always do with their sons in movies."

He pats the back of the couch and lets out a sigh of relief. "Go, because you and me both know I'm too old for that." I'm about to say something when his phone rings. He looks at me, asking for permission to answer. If I was more selfish, I would have told him no, but I know he's got big things going on. Plus I really should check up on Peter.

Dad answers and I hear frantic voices behind Happy's. "Hey, you know what I said about today." There's silence from dad but chaos on the other end. He sighs and hangs up. "I'm incredibly sorry, Morgan. Tomorrow I promise. Just me and you, doing whatever you'd like."

"No, I get it. You're crucial. Without you, everything would go downhill." He gets up and turns to look at me. "Morgan, you're more important than anything going on." I follow him and give him a reassuring arm squeeze. I've gotten used to the years of my dad being needed for things beyond my understanding.

We separate and he heads for the door.  Neither of us are good at showing our emotions, so we understand each other even if we don't talk about it. He knows that behind the smile I'm hurting for a normal family dynamic