Miss Paranoid

“Okay, let's put me back on the ground now.” He gets up first, so he can help me up. One wrong step, and I'll go falling to my death. Dad would say I'm just paranoid.

He puts his mask back on. “Okay, let's go.” I hold on, and he webs the side of the building before stepping off. I stop looking at that point. “Here we are.” I peek a little and sure enough, he was standing on the sidewalk.

“I should probably get out of here.” People are stopping and taking quick pictures. “Be safe, love you.”

“Love you too, see you later.” Like the show-off he is, he jumps onto a lamppost. I start to walk away. The news comes on, on a big screen. “This is breaking news.”

“We come with revelations about last week's attack in London. An anonymous source provided this video. It shows Quentin Beck, aka Mysterio, moments before his death. A warning you may find this video disturbing.”

Why do I have a terrible feeling about this?

Beck appears with cuts all over his face. “I managed to send the Elemental through the dimensional rift, but I don't think I'm gonna make it out of this bridge alive. Spider-Man attacked me for some reason.”

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. “Bullshit!” I scream, not caring how was watching me.

“He has an army of weaponized drones, Stark technology, he's saying he's the only one who's gonna be the new Iron Man. No one else.”

It switches to more footage. Spider-Man's legs are in the shot. Edith asks for a confirmation on the drone attack. Peter speaks, “Do it. Execute them all.” What? No, it has to be doctored.

“This shocking video was released earlier today on the controversial news website, TheDailyBugle.net.”

No, not the Trip J. He's been on a kick lately with Spider-Man, trying to be the public to see him as a menace. Both Ned and I have been making fun of this guy for weeks, but Peter has always been worried over it.

“There you have it, folks. Conclusive proof that Spider-Man was responsible for the murder of Mysterio, an inter-dimensional warrior who gave his life to protect our planet and who will no doubt go down in history as the greatest superhero of all time. But that's not all, folks.”

No, there can't be anything else.

“Here's the real blockbuster. Brace yourselves, you might want to sit down.” Beck returns. “Spider-Man's real- Spider-Man's real name is-”

The screen glitches into black, but I know better than to think it ends there. “Spider-Man's name is Peter Parker.” And to add insult to injury, it flashes Peter's school yearbook photo.

I look back to Spidey still on the lamppost. “What the fuck!”