Chapter 19

$$$$$ @ m@N ₩¡th €h@Rm ¡s @          D@nG€r0uS tH¡nG $$$$$
************************************
Pauly
*****
Dr. Barlow stands stiff, his briefcase in one hand and a folded paper in the other. The suit jacket hangs open, unbuttoned, showing a clean white shirt underneath. The red tie hangs down the center, having been pulled loose at the neck. The look of surprise is easy to read on his clean shaven face, it's the next expression that follows that is so unreadable.
Caroline takes a step back, away from me. A moment of worry crosses her beautiful face, as if she had just been caught doing something very naughty. As she tucks a piece of hair behind her ear, I can see how much her father's opinion matters to her. And I hate to face it but I already know what the man thinks of me.

"Hi, Daddy. I thought you'd be getting in late," Caroline does a poor job at breaking the ice.

The man grunts and sits his briefcase and paper down before straighting up again and stuffing his hands in his pockets. His gaze stays locked with mine, he's challenging me. Trying to intimidating me, it won't work, and I find it so humorous, I can't hide my grin. A disrespectful move, too bad I don't care. Dr. Barlow doesn't care for me anymore than I care for him. He's just in my way.

"Caroline say goodbye. I'd like a word with Mr. D'Amore here," his voice is low and intimidates his daughter into submission.

Her brown eyes fall in defeat before she turns to look up at me. Worry all over her pretty face.

"I'll see you later," I tell her, which cheers her saddened expression a bit.

She turns to leave, looking back at me once before her father closes the door behind her. He turns to face me, his arms crossing his chest.

"You won't be seeing her again. You shouldn't be here now."

I don't appreciate his tone or his attitude on the matter.

"Isn't she over the age of eighteen?" I shoot back. "She can do what she wants and if she wants to see me, then you can't stop her."

For the briefs moment, he looks impressed by my lack of submission. Then comes the protective rage I had been expecting.

"I tried doing the nice thing, because I respect your father, by expressing my disapproval of your interests in my daughter. I thought maybe you'd take the hint and let this foolishness go but now I'm telling you myself. It ends now. You're not the guy for my daughter. Your brother Henry could have been but you're not Henry. Caroline deserves someone better."

Bringing up my dead big brother isn't the best idea or comparing me to him. Which has my voice harsh and strained.

"I think it'd be better not to bring up my brother. And as far as Caroline goes, I don't think she needs you making these decisions for her. She's a big girl now."

"She may be grown but she is my only child and I'll do what's best for her. You're not the best. Hardly really. It's obvious that you will never be good enough for her."

I grin. "She seems to think I am."

He takes a step forward, his fists balling up. I'm secretly wanting him to hit me or put one finger on me really. I'd hurt him with little effort. Not that he looks weak, he doesn't. Just that I know my own skill. After all, Lex trained me. Dr. Barlow doesn't have a chance.

"What she thinks doesn't matter. In the end, you'll hurt her. You let people down, you've been doing your whole life. She won't be any different. And when you hurt her, I will hurt you. Do understand me? What you do to her, I'll do to you," he warns in complete seriousness.

It's my turn to take a step forward now. Not backing down, not giving in. My own expression and tone totally serious now.

"Thank you, sir. But I'm not interested in men that way. Sorry."