Chapter 64

₩¥£₩ a man should understand, you don't protect her because she's weak. You protect her because she's important! ₩¥£₩
************************************
Caroline
********
I wake to the sounds of grunting and slamming bodies. My eyes open just as Pauly falls to his knees. The man that can move mountains, Hercules himself, is loosing the fight. But unlike Hercules, Pauly has a determined crazy bitch on his side. And though, I'm weak, hurt, blood running down my face, I'm scared and furious! The adrenaline pumps through me, giving me enough strength to pull myself from the floor. My fingers wrap around the first heavy object I can find, a statue of a horse. I take a note from the intrudes book.
My legs are weak. The room spinning, probably due to the fact that the fucker punched me in the face but none of that matters.
Pauly's face has turned blue. When his eyes close, I find my footing. With all my might, every last ounce of fight left in me, I run forward. Bringing the statue down on the man's head. The force of my hit shoots vibrations up my arm but it works. I don't know if I've killed the man or simply returned his gift and knock his ass out but he loosens his grip on the wire around Pauly's neck.
The man lands on top of Pauly. Neither man makes a sound, Pauly doesn't gasp for air or cough. Nothing. The man's body is large, almost as big as Pauly, and on my wobbly legs, I'm not sure I can push him off. The pain in my head is causing my to become off balance. I flop down on my ass. Pressing my back against the wall, I use to feet to shove the man off Pauly.
The stranger wears a ski mask. Black leather gloves, with the makeshift wire still tangled in his hands. I don't pay him much mind, not worrying about weather of not he will wake. Pauly lays face down, blood staring to gather under his head. On my knees, I'm not strong enough to roll Pauly onto his back. Luckily, Pauly lays on a side rug. I grab the edge and pull with all my might. Flipping Pauly onto his back.
Deep lacerations bleed from his fingers, where the wire had been pulled so tight. There is a cut at his throat, right at the center, his hands had to have been place directly in front of his arteries, protecting them from the sharp wire. Thank God Pauly had been able to think so quickly. That his reactions had been so swift. Mine wouldn't have. Goes to show how much he's had to think of protecting the important parts of his body. How many dangerous situations he's been in.
I lean down, checking for breathes. There aren't any.

"Oh, God! Pauly, no. Don't you fucking dare," I yell slamming my fist down on his chest.

I lean down with my ear to his mouth and nose again. Nothing. Okay Caroline, think. Arabella explained CPR once. I've seen it done on TV and shows. I can do this. Arabella said that alot  TV shows missed one very important part of CPR. You have to tilt their heads back. I do so with Pauly now, ignoring the fear and panic creeping up in my throat. Stay calm, I tell myself. You won't any good to Pauly if you're freaking out.
I pinch his nose, open his jaw, and blow  air into him. I don't see his chest rise as Arabella said I would if I was doing it correctly. So, I blow harder. My eyes watch his chest. I don't like the doubt I feel in myself. If I weren't so fucked from my head wound, I'd probably be better at this. I continue on. I won't give up until I pass out or fall over dead.
I do a set of two deep breaths, then start chest compressions. Pushing down with all my weight. I hear voices in the hall and call out for them to come help me.

"Help! Please, come help me," I yell between gasps of air.

The voices stop and I think they went on, ignoring me or simply not hearing. Tears form. I'm sure how long I'll be able to keep going. I give breathes to him again. Then the door opens. My heart jumps and relief floods my system. Oscar. And Arabella.

"Help," my voices is horrible, breathy and afraid.

"What the fuck happened?" Oscar shouts.

Arabella is next to me in a flash, giving gentl orders to Oscar.